Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 13 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Not so well known facts

Akron, Ohio - Atlanta, GA - Mannheim Germany
    Ohio was the first state to enact laws protecting women in 1852. AA was started there (in Akron, my hometown) and the first police cars were used there too. Ohio is also the home state of seven presidents and Akron is/was the rubber capital of the world.
    What are some cool but little known facts about where you live or come from?

Clackline is named after the noise that the trains made as they went over the joins in the railway lines.
    it is also the place that made the best refractory bricks for the wood fired ovens and kilns In Australia

Blog Entries
    Potato chips were invented at a restaurant in my home town near Saratoga New York. A patron was complaining that his fried potatoes were not sliced thin enough... so the chef accommodated him and potato chips were born.

Contrary to popular belief Chicago got its nick name "the windy city " not because it near a lake and there are some pretty windy days ... but because of the politicians blowing hot air. Things haven't changed much since that nick name was first used. We are about to send the third governor to prison.

my grandfather invented ply wood. he made the machines to strip the wood of the trees and invented a new glue as the old cows hoof glue stained the wood, he also crossed the layers to make it stronger,
    during the war my uncle was working for Dunlop and rubber was hard to get as the ships were blown out of the water so he was asked to invent a substitute and he invented plastic. then he found if you put washing up liquid with it you got plasticc foam sin=milar to the foam eskies of today

Blog Entries
    My biological dad invented the dryer for the printing press.

Quote Originally Posted by Airwick156
    My biological dad invented the dryer for the printing press.
    WoW! That is AWESOME!

Quote Originally Posted by litacats
    my grandfather invented ply wood. he made the machines to strip the wood of the trees and invented a new glue as the old cows hoof glue stained the wood, he also crossed the layers to make it stronger,
    during the war my uncle was working for Dunlop and rubber was hard to get as the ships were blown out of the water so he was asked to invent a substitute and he invented plastic. then he found if you put washing up liquid with it you got plasticc foam sin=milar to the foam eskies of today
    You have a very talented and smart family!

Blog Entries
    My village has the smallest Cathedral in Western Europe - sadly not in use now, as its too small for practical use. It has also been both Church of Ireland and Catholic, and it built on the site of a previous one, but the site dates back to pagan times.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Absolutely nothing happened here ever :)

Page 1 of 13 1 2 11 ... LastLast