Oh no!

Old 08-22-2010, 09:50 AM

Did anyone else see yesterday's news piece regarding people balking at additional charges for checking baggage on airlines?
So, here's this MAN outisde an airline terminal (AA I think, but don't know what city) throwing away items from his suitcase in order to hone it all down to "carry-on" status. When I saw the quilt go into the trash bin I almost jumped thru the TV screen. It looked new, I saw pink among multi-colored squares which were tied in their middles. OK, so maybe not "quilted", but pieced, and someone had done a lot of work! Probably more than one person in need of anger management by now; wonder if the dude is still alive! Maybe we need to go dumpster diving in front of airline terminals these days, gals and guys.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:53 AM
Google Goddess

that is terrible
Old 08-22-2010, 10:08 AM
Power Poster

That's foolish. The cost of checked baggage isn't that expensive. If a person can't afford it then why over pack in the first place. And most every airport has a customer service that will pack and mail any item for you that you cannot carry on the plane cheaper then the excess checked baggage cost in most cases. It seems the disguntled people are not knowledgeable about how to arrange a flight.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:13 AM

I think it is the principle of the matter. Airlines have cut out every single thing that used to be standard, and have not lowered their prices. I think it is rediculous that they charge for checked baggage. JMO... Then again, I refuse to fly for most of these reasons.

Sometimes people are flying for emergency reasons and it's all they can do to scrap up airfare, much less any extra charges.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:13 AM

My daughter had to take out two packages of frozen freshly caught fish as she was over weight. I am sure someone took it out of the trash as soon as she was gone. She was heartbroken. I would have killed her myself if she took out a quilt! LOL Abide by the rules and so many are so ignorant of those rules.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:33 AM

Had to pay an additional $80 bucks once two years ago. Couldn't really figure out why since the same suitcase and stuffings elsewhere were fine.

It used to be flying first class avoided these issues. Not anymore. Doesn't really bother me though as my experiences have always been good or at least humorous.

Who was it that had that gorilla throwing a suitcase commercial years ago? They should make another ad with the angry dude in a business suit throwing his luggage around curbside check-in.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:36 AM

I saw that on TV too - throwing away a quilt in the trash can on national TV - bad! bad!
Old 08-22-2010, 10:38 AM

Yes, I saw that same piece. It was a very nice quilt he was throwing away, but I suspect that as soon as the camera was off, someone else snatched that quilt and it is living happily with someone who appreciates it.

Or else his wife said "You fool," removed it from the trash can, and wrapped it around herself as she got on the plane.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:47 AM

I don't think they should charge for checked baggage. The cost of the ticket itself should cover the cost. My SIL came for a two week visit in July from Phoenix, AZ. When she checked in, she was told that she had to CHECK her carry-on! Not because it was too big or too heavy, but because they didn't have room for it! Really? I thought everyone was entitled to one carry-on. They must have let someone put too much overhead, to not have room for her carry-on. Get this, SHE HAD TO PAY FOR IT HERSELF! That bag should have flown free! She was not happy to say the least!
Old 08-22-2010, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by NewYearsOld
When she checked in, she was told that she had to CHECK her carry-on! Not because it was too big or too heavy, but because they didn't have room for it!
I've seen that every time I've flown since '90. Big planes and small. Never enough room for everyone's carry on bags. Several people must check their bags while on the plane. Maybe I fly busier routes than most folks who say differently. Don't know. It's definitely the norm in my experience.