Oh no!

Old 08-22-2010, 11:24 AM

Bonnie Hunter from Quiltville told of a Japanese quilt teacher that was told at "Customs" in Canada that she had to write "Sample" in permanent marker across the face of quilts that she was bringing into the country!!! I guess that the teacher DID it!
Bonnie cancelled a quilt class that she was scheduled to teach in Canada in 2012 because she was afraid that the same thing would happen to her.

What is with these regulations? How much "terrorism" is in quilt tops???

Sue
Old 08-22-2010, 11:26 AM

Wow, were there any women with him? I hope he gets H--- from whoever made the quilt or the recipient of the now gone quilt!
Old 08-22-2010, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Pinkiris
Bonnie Hunter from Quiltville told of a Japanese quilt teacher that was told at "Customs" in Canada that she had to write "Sample" in permanent marker across the face of quilts that she was bringing into the country!!! I guess that the teacher DID it!
Bonnie cancelled a quilt class that she was scheduled to teach in Canada in 2012 because she was afraid that the same thing would happen to her.

Did that really happen? Why would she have to do that? What regulation would there be for that? It does not make sense, considering quilting and works of art get shipped worldwide nowadays.

Sue
Old 08-22-2010, 11:42 AM
Power Poster

The lady was a quilter and vendor from Canada going to the US for a quilt show and the U.S. customs agent had her write Samples so she couldn't sell her quilt samples in the US. She chose to write on the quilts instead of not taking them. It's being investigated as to why she had to do this. It pays to know the rules, every rule. Never know when a agent had a bad day.

To be able to be across the country in a matter of hours is worth every penny the airline charges which is expensive but not outrageous for the value.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:44 AM

Since they started charging for checking luggage, many more passengers carry on than used to. So of course it won't all fit in the overhead compartments. Usually they will make you hand over larger bags at the end of the jetway but they don't charge for it. I used to check because it was easier than hauling it around especially when I have a connection but now only check when I will be gone a week or more and have to take more stuff.

I agree about these fees. Charge a higher price for the ticket and stop nickel and diming us.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Pinkiris

Sue
WOW has this ever become distorted! It was a Canadian quilter who was told by AMERICAN customs to write sample on the quilts she was taking to a quilt show.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:42 PM

I, too, saw that clip on TV......I felt awful when I saw the quilt got thrown away ! Someones time, energy & effort was tossed in the trash ! Yikes !
Old 08-22-2010, 12:46 PM

we had a quilt teacher at our quild meeting giving a trunk show that had to write sample on her quilts in order to take them across customs. a woman with her had hers checked by another person and she went thru fine. Needless to say they were both very upset.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:50 PM

Sorry---I didn't mean to misquote the story. My point was that getting to travel by air has all manner of hidden problems!

Sue
Old 08-22-2010, 01:16 PM

My neighbor works for an airline and she said that the airlines make enough money on just the cargo that they haul that they could let all passengers fly free and still make money. Their profits just wouldn't be as much. The baggage charges are just extra money in their pockets.