Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: old doll, repair or keep as is?

Blog Entries

old doll, repair or keep as is?

I have my doll from 1946 and the fabric body is ok. The arms and legs have no holes or tears but are some sort of vinyl that has discolored terribly. The head is good, eyes still open and close, no wig. I was going to toss her out and my husband brought her back from the trash. Now I have decided to keep her but I would like to replace the arms and legs. Her name is Twila. What do you think? Is she worth keeping? Should I make some clothes for her and leave as she is or get new limbs? Where would I get new limbs?

Keep her, make her long sleeved clothing to cover the discolored arms and long skirt the legs. imho

Blog Entries
    I agree, don't replace anything. You can buy all sorts of doll clothes for covering them up if you don't like to sew them. some day some one will want to look at how things were really made ( in the olden days!)

Quote Originally Posted by Seaside gal View Post
    I have my doll from 1946 and the fabric body is ok. The arms and legs have no holes or tears but are some sort of vinyl that has discolored terribly. The head is good, eyes still open and close, no wig. I was going to toss her out and my husband brought her back from the trash. Now I have decided to keep her but I would like to replace the arms and legs. Her name is Twila. What do you think? Is she worth keeping? Should I make some clothes for her and leave as she is or get new limbs? Where would I get new limbs?
    Have you googled about her? There are doll collectors out there that may be able to help you know more about the doll. I am glad you are keeping her...you'd may have been sorry later.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place...the End Times.

Heaven and Earth are full of His Glory!

Name:  101_3821.JPG
Views: 1034
Size:  676.5 KB Here are a few friends she can play with!!
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place...the End Times.

Heaven and Earth are full of His Glory!

Blog Entries
    Nygal, The doll on the right (that you posted) should have some other kind of wig. That one is saran and does not suit the doll. She is very pretty otherwise.

Seasidegal, Your doll is probably a migic skin baby. If there are no holes in the magic skin, don't replace anything on her but clothes. I have one also that I received for Christmas in or about 1945. Her arms and legs are blackened but she still has her original clothes and blanket. Don't throw yours away and don't replace anything but clothes and then only if you don't have the originals.

Power Poster
    ​I watch the Antique Road Show and they say don't replace the old stuff or refinish furniture because it losses value. Your doll may or may not be worth something but I would just make her new clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by nygal View Post
    Name:  101_3821.JPG
Views: 1034
Size:  676.5 KB Here are a few friends she can play with!!
    My other weakness... dollies! I love these! Can I play with them, too?
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by nygal View Post
    Have you googled about her? There are doll collectors out there that may be able to help you know more about the doll. I am glad you are keeping her...you'd may have been sorry later.
    There are tons of sites that can help you decide what to do about your dolly. My vote would be leave her as is (unless her skin is flaking off). Could you post a picture of her?
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

I like dollies too. Mine are maybe 10-15 years old. I'm not wild about old things.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast