Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: old doll, repair or keep as is?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Huntington Beach in Southern California
    Posts
    387
    Blog Entries
    15

    old doll, repair or keep as is?

    I have my doll from 1946 and the fabric body is ok. The arms and legs have no holes or tears but are some sort of vinyl that has discolored terribly. The head is good, eyes still open and close, no wig. I was going to toss her out and my husband brought her back from the trash. Now I have decided to keep her but I would like to replace the arms and legs. Her name is Twila. What do you think? Is she worth keeping? Should I make some clothes for her and leave as she is or get new limbs? Where would I get new limbs?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    142
    Keep her, make her long sleeved clothing to cover the discolored arms and long skirt the legs. imho

  3. #3
    Super Member Crqltr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,793
    Blog Entries
    2
    I agree, don't replace anything. You can buy all sorts of doll clothes for covering them up if you don't like to sew them. some day some one will want to look at how things were really made ( in the olden days!)

  4. #4
    Super Member nygal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    5,262
    Quote Originally Posted by Seaside gal View Post
    I have my doll from 1946 and the fabric body is ok. The arms and legs have no holes or tears but are some sort of vinyl that has discolored terribly. The head is good, eyes still open and close, no wig. I was going to toss her out and my husband brought her back from the trash. Now I have decided to keep her but I would like to replace the arms and legs. Her name is Twila. What do you think? Is she worth keeping? Should I make some clothes for her and leave as she is or get new limbs? Where would I get new limbs?
    Have you googled about her? There are doll collectors out there that may be able to help you know more about the doll. I am glad you are keeping her...you'd may have been sorry later.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place...the End Times.

    Heaven and Earth are full of His Glory!

  5. #5
    Super Member nygal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    5,262
    Name:  101_3821.JPG
Views: 1034
Size:  676.5 KB Here are a few friends she can play with!!
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place...the End Times.

    Heaven and Earth are full of His Glory!

  6. #6
    Senior Member drgranny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    slaton, texas
    Posts
    731
    Blog Entries
    1
    Nygal, The doll on the right (that you posted) should have some other kind of wig. That one is saran and does not suit the doll. She is very pretty otherwise.

    Seasidegal, Your doll is probably a migic skin baby. If there are no holes in the magic skin, don't replace anything on her but clothes. I have one also that I received for Christmas in or about 1945. Her arms and legs are blackened but she still has her original clothes and blanket. Don't throw yours away and don't replace anything but clothes and then only if you don't have the originals.

  7. #7
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    19,195
    ​I watch the Antique Road Show and they say don't replace the old stuff or refinish furniture because it losses value. Your doll may or may not be worth something but I would just make her new clothes.

  8. #8
    Super Member burchquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Holmen, WI
    Posts
    7,610
    Quote Originally Posted by nygal View Post
    Name:  101_3821.JPG
Views: 1034
Size:  676.5 KB Here are a few friends she can play with!!
    My other weakness... dollies! I love these! Can I play with them, too?
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

  9. #9
    Super Member burchquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Holmen, WI
    Posts
    7,610
    Quote Originally Posted by nygal View Post
    Have you googled about her? There are doll collectors out there that may be able to help you know more about the doll. I am glad you are keeping her...you'd may have been sorry later.
    There are tons of sites that can help you decide what to do about your dolly. My vote would be leave her as is (unless her skin is flaking off). Could you post a picture of her?
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

  10. #10
    Power Poster Jingle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Outside St. Louis
    Posts
    23,933
    I like dollies too. Mine are maybe 10-15 years old. I'm not wild about old things.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.