Online Pharmacies

Old 04-30-2016, 09:28 AM

The American Drug Companies have been selling that line for so long that drugs outside the US are questionable when in reality most drugs are made all over the world. One of the news shows like 20/20 or 60 Minutes did a show about it and they found the woman's cancer drug Tofmaxafan (sp) cost $300.00 a month in US, $60.00 a month in Canada and $30.00 in Germany. It was all made in the same place. They also did it for Lipitor with similar findings and another medication. And they showed where they were made. There were no changes for meds going to the US vs Mexico or Brazil or anywhere else, they are even packaged the same. The cue is a matter of buying from a reputable pharmacy. There was a Mayor back east that was trying to make it legal to buy medication out of Canada and she was being attacked from all directions. Which is sad - the American Drug Companies and the AMA are very powerful. I will step off my soap box since this has been a hot button for me for many years and could go on for pages.

Last edited by quiltingcandy; 04-30-2016 at 09:33 AM.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:59 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
The American Drug Companies have been selling that line for so long that drugs outside the US are questionable when in reality most drugs are made all over the world. One of the news shows like 20/20 or 60 Minutes did a show about it and they found the woman's cancer drug Tofmaxafan (sp) cost $300.00 a month in US, $60.00 a month in Canada and $30.00 in Germany. It was all made in the same place. They also did it for Lipitor with similar findings and another medication. And they showed where they were made. There were no changes for meds going to the US vs Mexico or Brazil or anywhere else, they are even packaged the same. The cue is a matter of buying from a reputable pharmacy. There was a Mayor back east that was trying to make it legal to buy medication out of Canada and she was being attacked from all directions. Which is sad - the American Drug Companies and the AMA are very powerful. I will step off my soap box since this has been a hot button for me for many years and could go on for pages.
Totally with you. I'm also tired of doctors pushing drugs that aren't tested long enough when there are lots of old
ones that work fine and are cheap.
Old 04-30-2016, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
And, can you imagine, a friend recently told me that Maine has made it illegal to buy drugs from outside the US? Awful!
Old 04-30-2016, 03:23 PM

Please be careful with any new drug. My dr. And pharmacist are trying to get me to take a drug that they said "might cause a rash". Now I am the queen of bad side effects from drugs, so I always look them up before swallowing them. I looked in google images and was horrified at the photos of the "rash". The "rash" is actually a chemical burn that can burn all your skin off! From the inside! And can happen even after you stop taking it! I am in no way qualified to diagnose or cure anything, just terrified of side effects because of all of them I have suffered. Be careful, I care about each and every one of you here.
Old 04-30-2016, 04:47 PM
Power Poster

with the current commercials on drugs, I don't want to take any of them.
Old 05-01-2016, 04:00 AM

When my doctor wants to give me a "new" prescription, I always request that she not give me any of the new ones,but give me some old thing she knows works just the same. I also ask if she thinks it's really necessary to have a new prescription at all. I think they feel that they have to give you something for your office call fee.
Old 05-01-2016, 05:40 AM

I would not hesitate to order from Canada. Other countries, yes!
Old 05-01-2016, 05:45 AM

If your aim is to reduce costs (and why wouldn't it be?) try this website www.goodrx.com
I had seen ads on tv from them and decided to look into it. In my case, I needed phenobarbital for my dog and the prices just kept going up and up. I was able to enter the drug and the dosage and see the prices from various pharmacies in my area and there was a coupon to reduce the price. I called the pharmacy ahead to make sure they accepted the coupon; they did, and I saved a fair amount of money on the prescription. I don't remember exactly how much but it was enough to make it worth my time.
My vet also wrote the script for 90 days instead of 30 and I asked her to make it for a larger dose. My dog takes 32.4mg twice a day and by making the script 64.8mg, I can split a pill, still getting the correct dosage, but the larger dose costs less. That's a tip that goodrx.com suggests and it worked perfectly for this particular drug.
Be sure to check ahead with the pharmacy as to whether they will accept the coupon.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:02 AM

A lot of drug manufacturers offer coupons. You can search online. Some work better than others. My DH takes both Crestor and Zetia for high cholesterol. After coupons the best I have been able to do is about $200/month each, awful. There is a coupon that is supposed to bring it down to $3/month. I am pretty sure that is the one I have on file and it isn't working for me. Not sure if it is my insurance company or what.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by sparkys_mom View Post
If your aim is to reduce costs (and why wouldn't it be?) try this website www.goodrx.com
I had seen ads on tv from them and decided to look into it. In my case, I needed phenobarbital for my dog and the prices just kept going up and up. I was able to enter the drug and the dosage and see the prices from various pharmacies in my area and there was a coupon to reduce the price. I called the pharmacy ahead to make sure they accepted the coupon; they did, and I saved a fair amount of money on the prescription. I don't remember exactly how much but it was enough to make it worth my time.
My vet also wrote the script for 90 days instead of 30 and I asked her to make it for a larger dose. My dog takes 32.4mg twice a day and by making the script 64.8mg, I can split a pill, still getting the correct dosage, but the larger dose costs less. That's a tip that goodrx.com suggests and it worked perfectly for this particular drug.
Be sure to check ahead with the pharmacy as to whether they will accept the coupon.
Good to know and will definitely look into it. My English Bulldog just started taking it for seizures. And if you know anything about Bulldogs, seems everything is more expensive LOL.

Just checked - huge difference in price!! Thank You!!

Last edited by AZ Jane; 05-01-2016 at 06:16 AM.