pancreatitis in dogs

Old 09-28-2011, 04:36 AM

I am looking for anyone that has dealt with this problem. I need ideas for food, etc. My Heidi, 4 years old, is on her second bout with it, one after the other. Hers came on severe, and doesn't seem to be leaving. Thanks for any help.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:50 AM

We once had a beagle with pancreatitis. I hope you have taken the dog to your vet. It is a very painful disease. Our dogs case was severe and nothing helped. He was put down after about 2 weeks. We still miss that dog and he only lived until he was about a year old. Good luck!!!
Old 09-28-2011, 06:34 AM

my son is going thru this right now with his baby of 5 years. He is at the vets for the third time in about 2 months. Will know by tomorrow if he will pull thru again. Vet told him to watch the diet...no fats etc, only dog food. Good luck with your baby and get him to a vet if you haven't.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:34 AM

No help here sorry except to encourage you, a neighbour min. schnauzer lived until 9 yrs & was first diagnosed at 2 yrs.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:39 AM

So sorry your fur baby and family has to go through this. I hope she recovers quickly!
Old 09-28-2011, 07:39 AM

We went through it with our sheltie. Our vet recommended boiled chicken and rice. No salt, no fat. It seemed to help her and she did recover and live a long and happy life.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:46 AM

this is my hopes...yes, she has been to the vet, too many times to count, the first time, for pancreatitis, was about 8 weeks ago, she went back for 5 days, for iv fluids daily, and antibiotic shot, and nausea meds, etc...then all the meds at home she took, and then 6 weeks later, here it is again, still severe, but we caught it earlier this time, she is on the Prescription Diet, ID, I use the canned, she liked it better, but I have both canned and dry ID. Now today, she isn't into even the canned. The vet gave me a print out for the foods, it shows calories, etc...from an old book, about 15 yrs old, but mostly rice, cottage cheese, later on some chicken and boiled egg yokes, etc...the vte gave her the serenia and something like carafet, may not be spelled right...she has been taking 2 and sometimes 3 meds daily for the stomach nausea...etc...she wanted to eat grass yesterday and topday...sign of vomiting. The vet said if she vomits ot bring her in, she's in trouble....thanks for all the reply's, I was hoping someone had knowledge of the diet to make at home, maybe something different than what was printed out
Old 09-28-2011, 09:54 AM

I went through it several times with my late cattledog until we switch to a super good quality food. We feed taste of the Wild Pacific Steam. It's made with Salmon and Trout but no corn, wheat or other grains. Spook went on to live another 5 years until she developed Cushings Disease and died of kidney failure. All my critters now eat Taste of the Wild, dogs and cats both.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:01 PM

I think someone else said this but I would boil chicken boneless skinless add cooked rice and even a hard boiled egg.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:09 PM

Our Malamutes & Schnauzer has had this quite a lot during their first 6 yrs of life. Mals are now 7 & 8 and our Vet has me out them on cooked rice made with chicken broth. They get sev sm feedings ea day. On the 2nd day I can add a tblsp or 2 of cottage cheese to it. On the 3rd day I can add some boiled skinless chicken that I shred up. Usually by the end of 7 days, they are fine. I then start decreasing the rice mixture & adding in some sm amts of their dogfood until they are back on straight dogfood. I also can put in a TBLSP of honey in their drinking water to get them to drink a lot so they do not dehydrate. Or give them children's Pedialyte to drink, which they will not drink at all. LOL I feel for you & your pupper.