Pay it forward!!

Old 01-06-2014, 07:02 AM

I received my mom's Janome (can't remember the number but know was in the $2000 range) and a small Brother sewing machines when she died. I have a Bernia 240, which I love so I sent the Janome to my sister and donated the Brother to the local girl scout troop and my sister decided that her local church quilters needed mom's Janome more than she did. We both feel that we did some good. I do have lots of mom's quilt books, am I allowed to show them on this site and give them away?
Old 01-06-2014, 09:12 AM

KimmerB, there is a special section of the QB forum to give things away. I'm sure many people would love one, including me :-) I think you could ask for the recipient to pay the shipping cost though since you are giving them the book.

I have done a couple pay it forward on QB in response to requests posted. I have to admit I was a bit disappointed that neither recipient wrote to thank me after receiving my package. I did contact the first person to ask if she got it and she wrote back at that point to say "yes" and "thanks." I decided not to bother asking the second person. It just seems to me if someone you don't even know (or even if you do know them) takes the time to look for what you want, package it up and ship it to you at no charge to you, a person should at least say "thank you." Or am I missing something?? I actually feel the same way about gifts. I have sent a wedding gift or graduation gift to several relatives and never heard anything! I always used to make my kids write thank you notes as soon as they knew how to write but that was a long time ago and I think things have changed.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by MaryMo View Post
I enjoy paying it forward when I can afford it. But I dislike being taken advantage of by someone's dishonesty. Needless to say I am now more careful in sharing. So glad when I can do so and feel good about doing it.
Karma, what goes around comes around, or whatever you believe will take care of that. Dishonesty is on them. Sad that it does happen.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by KimmerB View Post
I received my mom's Janome (can't remember the number but know was in the $2000 range) and a small Brother sewing machines when she died. I have a Bernia 240, which I love so I sent the Janome to my sister and donated the Brother to the local girl scout troop and my sister decided that her local church quilters needed mom's Janome more than she did. We both feel that we did some good. I do have lots of mom's quilt books, am I allowed to show them on this site and give them away?
When mailing a book ask for "media mail" at the post office. It should be cheaper than 1st class mail but may take longer to arrive at its destination.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:22 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

I have done quite a few pay it forwards and love it !! Sometimes its just a gesture, othertimes its hard work but well worth either .. We recently helped a couple who was out of gas, we took them to the gas station; filled their tank & got goodies for them/their kids & dog for the road. Then the hubs gave them a gift card for more gas. All this so they could go back home to Kansas as he lost his job and was returning to live with elderly parents.
So we have paid it forward as someone helped us out with gas one time when we had no money and desperately needed it when the kids were growing up.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:23 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Originally Posted by diamondee View Post
Karma, what goes around comes around, or whatever you believe will take care of that. Dishonesty is on them. Sad that it does happen.
__________________________________________________ ________________________________________
Yes Karma does come around either good or bad, but it does in one's lifetime ...
Old 01-06-2014, 10:34 AM

I pay it forward to the homeless also. I will not give them money but am happy to buy them all the food they can eat. Also little things, like a small flashlight, lighter, matches etc. Have bought moving quilt/pads at Harbor Freight for about $5.00 and give those out also. Haa, I have been taken advantage of but don't really care. I have even been turned down for food. Just chalk it up.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:41 AM

I found a wanted posting on Freecycle today from a woman that just purchased her first sewing machine and needs some fabric. I replied and am waiting to hear back. She sounded so excited and I am excited for her. I hope to give her some fabric, older quilting magazines (got to get her quilting) and some spare notions I have. I want to tell her about this board, share resources with her etc. I feel so good about this, I can't wait to hear from her. Do you think I will scare her off with my excitement?
Almost forgot. I have been the recipient of Pay it Forward on this board and in other areas of my life that have really made a difference. Bless all of you who Pay It Forward and thank you.

Last edited by GrammaNan; 01-06-2014 at 10:43 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:54 AM

Thanks for the kind words for my recent pay-it-forward and congrats to others who have been doing the same.

it's true what they say...it feels good when you give, without expecting anything in return.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:45 PM

We have played it forward a number of time and sometimes were not thanked, but still made us feel better and someday hope they look back and realize what we did. It is getting harder being retired, but we still try.
God Bless all of you who help others, caring is what is important.

Last edited by Carol34446; 01-06-2014 at 12:47 PM.