Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Picnic Foods for the 4th of July >

Picnic Foods for the 4th of July

Picnic Foods for the 4th of July

Old 07-03-2013, 01:00 AM

Default Picnic Foods for the 4th of July

Not sure if this is where I am to write this. What are you making for your picnic?
Old 07-03-2013, 02:39 AM

we're hosting but everyone is bringing something! We'll have the hot dogs, pork BBQ, potatoe salad, and fresh black raspberry custards!
Old 07-03-2013, 03:56 AM

We're bringing homemade subs, chips and salsa, a fruit plate and cupcakes to my son's for lunch before their town parade. We're bringing lunch since I invited us over to get to see them! Don't do that very often...
Old 07-03-2013, 05:57 AM
Power Poster

We are staying home. Husband has jobs he wants to do. I am going to try and finish up the Dresden plate quilt I have been working on. We work full time and take no vacation. These long weekends are our vacation.
Happy 4th everyone.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:16 AM

I'm frying chicken and DH is grilling burgers and hot dogs for those who don't want chicken. Everybody (about 26 people) is bringing a dish to share, can't wait to see what we get! I did ask my niece to bring cauliflower salad, everybody loves it, and it wouldn't be a party without it! Croquet is planned, along with a baseball game, playing in the sprinklers for the younger ones, sparklers, then we'll head down to the town fireworks. Can't wait, the 4th is my favorite holiday. Family and country, a great combination!
Old 07-03-2013, 06:47 AM

I am making Ancho pork and peppers, Spanish rice, beans and guacamole. We eat the vegetarian style refined beans made by Rosita's brand. I know it's not the typical July 4th meal, but we had our barbeque feast on Father's Day.

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/anch...0000000698662/
http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/tami...h-rice-195780/
Old 07-03-2013, 02:13 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

If tomorrow is like the past 5 or 6 days of rain, rain, rain, we'll all be sitting inside watching TV

Jan in VA
Old 07-03-2013, 02:28 PM

Oh boy Jan, we'd take all of the rain you would send us. It is so dry and we need our lakes to get some water.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:34 PM
Power Poster

The grocery store where I shop has T-bones on sale for $5.97 a pound with a limit of 2 pkgs. Good thru next Tues. I bought 2 pkgs. today and will buy more tomorrow thru Tues at different stores. There are 3 to a package. Dh and I share one. I eat the tenderloin portion and he eats the larger. The puppies get real happy when the bones are just right and we have 3. That's their dessert. DH usually has to work so we don't do much. Neither of us have been into the fireworks. And since we have a ban and water rationing of watering yards only on waste pick up day. too dangerous.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:57 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by barny View Post
Oh boy Jan, we'd take all of the rain you would send us. It is so dry and we need our lakes to get some water.
I've heard this, Barny; and I've experienced this during the years I lived in north Texas....Dallas, Grapevine, Keller, Plano....water conservation, high water bills, high electric bills for AC......tough summers there. I remember the sensation of the air being sucked out of one's lungs when one stepped outside in August.

My shop on Plano Parkway faced due west and the door opening and closing was a killer. I finally had to block all the front windows with the tall fabric cases to help with heat control. Lowered the AC bills by nearly $300 a month!

I feel for you all! But it feels like an Amazon rain forest here this year, it's so green and over grown.

Jan in VA