Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Picture of my Dad 91 Marathon >

Picture of my Dad 91 Marathon

Picture of my Dad 91 Marathon

Old 11-26-2010, 09:14 AM

I was conversing with someone about the health of my family and it came up about my dad running the Long Beach, CA, Marathon in 1991; and, I had said I would put up a pic. We were so proud of him. The company he worked for was trying to force him into retirement by transferring him from East Coast to West Coast; well, not only did he and my mom and I go, we had a great time while there in Long Beach. We lived in Marina Pacifica, for those of u who live in SoCA. My dad who was 56, at the time, trained by running on the beach. He and I use to run together when I was in High School. I use to love running, but I never had such aspirations as running a marathon. He gave me my athleticism that I so dearly miss. It took him 5 hrs., but he finished.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-134026.jpe  
Old 11-26-2010, 09:28 AM
Power Poster

WOW! Dad really did well in this :D:D:D
Old 11-26-2010, 09:47 AM
Power Poster

Wow, dad showed them.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:54 PM

He's 77yr.young and still goes to the gym 3 x's a week; even though he has Diabetes; high blood pressure (since I was in HS); a Heart Condition; and a few other problems. Being as they live in S.C., and it is warmer than it is here (PA); he still works in their yard every day - it is gorgeous! He takes care of my mom (whose health is not so good); cooks, cleans, does wash, and doesn't really look much older now than he did in that picture. It's funny, i'm obviously so proud of my father; and this past July 4th, was the first time in a long time he told me he loves me. We had a huge fight over New Year's; and didn't speak for most of my life. He thinks I too spoiled and self centered. I have a hugh gilt complex from him telling me I'm not good enough. Oh, no, I should just stop here!
Love you guys - thanks for letting me vent! Everyone who knows him loves him (me, sisters, & mom r getting closer to him; he's mellowing in old age, my mom says).