Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Pinch pleat draperies and sheers >

Pinch pleat draperies and sheers

Pinch pleat draperies and sheers

Old 04-13-2012, 05:24 AM

Default Pinch pleat draperies and sheers

Has anyone here made pinch pleat draperies or sheers? I have a basic construction question......when figuring the amount of fabric needed for width, how much do you lose when you do the actual pleating? Do I need twice the width of the window at the start? 1-1/2 times? I need help ....fast! My daughter got me into a sewing job making drapes and sheers, which wouldn't have been a big problem as both were to be basic rod pocket (fast and easy) Then the game changed and customer decided (after the pocket was already sewn for drapes) he wanted pinch pleat. OMG! That is way different and way more complicated....and way out of my league. But, customer gets what customer wants, right? Now I have to figure out how to make pleats and how to measure. Any help here will be greatly appreciated. TIA, Rose
Old 04-13-2012, 05:31 AM

Good Morning Buckeye Rose,

Usually sheers are sewn/bought at 2 1/2 times the width of the window. Add 1 1/2in. for each side hem and at least 31/2 in. for bottom hem. Perhaps JCPENNYs' catalog or site will have a 'guidance' page for measuring.

Wish you well on this project,
Old 04-13-2012, 06:01 AM

I add 2 ½ to 3 times fullness to mine. Sheers may get more.<o></o>
Drapes to skimpy will not close good. <o></o>
It depends how deep your pleats are the spacing between them, as to how many widths you need. Make up a short mock drape or measure ready made.<o></o>
Old 04-13-2012, 07:12 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r59NpDLhyWg

Just do a google search for exactly what you want. I just googled for "how to make pleated drapes"
Old 04-13-2012, 07:24 AM
Power Poster

That is quite a game changer! I have never made pinch pleat drapes but if I was going to, I think the first thing I' d do is look at the hanging hardware. Are they going to use those metal thingies that push up the pleat and have the little hook for hanging? That will help you decide how much fabric you need for the hardware. Will you need to use that wide tape stuff at the top for stability and putting different hooks in? Good luck with your adventure and make sure the price is adjusted for the work involved.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:48 AM

I always use a double 1" hem on each side and a double 2.5 on the hem. The extra weight on the double hems help them hang better. You will need about 2.5 times the width, this does not have to be exact! I usually round it up depending on width of window. So a 30" curtain rod, divided by 2 (left and right panels) = 2-15" panels. If the fabric is 44" wide? 15x2.5=37.5"panels- so I would cut 2 panels 44" wide. Made a 1" hem on each side. Then calculate your pinch pleat width and space width after.

The pleat will be aprox 5 in. You will need extra inches for spring back. Springback is the extra sag that developers in pinch pleat drapes when hanging. So after sewn you really want more than 15" on each panel. You also need overlap, for the middle, where the panels meet, so there isn't a gap in the middle. If you want to continue with these I can help you with # of pleats and pleat size and space size.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:25 AM

I have used the pleater tape that is sewn to the top of the drape s. It's been a while since then but you sew the tape to the right side of the drape and then turn it to the back to form the top. You can get the tape at most fabric shops and maybe on line. Like I said it was about 35 years ago that I used it but it sure works fine The drapery hooks slide into the tape to form the pleats..
Old 04-14-2012, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Kathy Osterby View Post
I have used the pleater tape that is sewn to the top of the drape s. It's been a while since then but you sew the tape to the right side of the drape and then turn it to the back to form the top. You can get the tape at most fabric shops and maybe on line. Like I said it was about 35 years ago that I used it but it sure works fine The drapery hooks slide into the tape to form the pleats..
Oh my gosh...brings back memories......I used to make all of our drapes in sheers when "draw drapes" were in style....have they come back...darn it I threw away all those four pronged pleater pins!!!!!! I am sure that somewhere on the net there is a place that will give you the correct directions.......make sure you get the proper compensation for this "job"
Old 04-14-2012, 09:51 AM

Never knew draw drapes went out of style, but I used to make drapes. You also haved to add 3 1/2' for turn around of rod. I did 3 1/2" space between pleats and 5" for each pleat. Please do not use the pleater tape. They never hang like a custom made drape. Also you do the hem before you put in pleats. That was always a 3 1/2" double hem, for better hanging. That is the professional way of doing them.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:19 PM
Dee

Its usually twice the amount, but I have always used three times. And it has always worked out for me.