Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using old draperies >

Using old draperies

Using old draperies

Old 01-21-2017, 01:22 PM

Default Using old draperies

I was given a big box of drapes and thought I could use the fabrics. They are lined with a cream color fabric. I can tell they were special made. After I took them apart I see on two of the fabrics on the selvidge area where it says recommended dry clean on one and gentle wash, hang dry on the other. It says something about screen print. Can I use these to quilt and then be able to wash like normal? What does that really mean on fabric? There is several yards of each one and I kinda like the colors! What would you do?
Old 01-21-2017, 01:31 PM

I would hesitate to use on a quilt without knowing more about the fabric composition. The lining could be dry clean only because it's a room darkening or heat retaining chemical treatment on it. You can do a "burn" test to see if it's cotton vs. poly (poly "melts") but as far as washing, you could cut off a piece (I'd do at least FQ size) and run through washer & dryer--if it survives, use it. If not, you have your answer before you go any further.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:43 PM
Power Poster

I would wash them first & see how they come out. If they come out ok you are good to go. I used to live near an interior designer, she sold bolt ends really inexpensively of home dec fabrics ( some were listed at $100 a yard! I would pick up a bolt end with 2+ yards for $15.) I used many very luxurious wonderful fabrics for quilt backs. I took them home, washed & dried them and used them. Most of them were labeled dry clean only, never had one not handle laundering They made heavy quilts but Beautiful!
Old 01-21-2017, 02:39 PM

The other thing to be aware of is rot from sun/heat exposure. That may surface when you wash them, so that would be my first step.
Many home decor fabrics say dry clean only - even 100% cotton- to preserve color and finish.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:52 PM
Power Poster

A screen print has many layers of color applied to make up the whole printed image. I don't think it is washable because of that. Usually if a person wants to make something screen printed washable, they use a product on it first before the printing begins to be able to set the colors. I would be careful using it unless you don't mind dry cleaning instead of washing.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 01-21-2017 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-21-2017, 05:01 PM

I use non quilting cotton in quilts for myself. I am not a prewasher when using regular new quilting cotton, but when using other fabrics I always prewash to make sure they will survive the washing machine.

Any fabric that was used in a curtain on the window side, like the lining I would be VERY suspect of sun damage to the fibers, and would probably only use them in a wall hanging or as a permanent liner for sewing crumbs or stips
Old 01-21-2017, 09:01 PM

I washed the interior fabrics (the pretty side). Everything came out fine. No runs or bleeds and the fabric actually has a softer feel to it. I'm gonna try a few blocks and see how it looks. Thanks for tips!
Old 01-22-2017, 01:42 AM

I recycle drapes for drawstring bags for ladies in abuse shelters. Almost all say dry clean only, but I suspect often it is because the lining and front fabric will shrink at different rates. I take them all apart and wash before I do anything. I haven't had any problems with any of them so far. I've never used any for piecing, though.
Old 01-22-2017, 03:17 AM
Banned

With drapes, I'd worry more about how much sun rotting is going on.
Old 01-22-2017, 03:23 AM

Some of the reasons that draperies recommend dry cleaning is not the surface fabric but the combination of elements in draperies. Lining is frequently treated with all sorts of chemicals to provide warmth or sun protection. The header tape is made of buckram and will shrink and pleats not return to the normal look. Sometimes the finish on the face fabric has special finishes to give sheen, etc. So after deconstructing the panel, wash all or part of it and see how it behaves. Sun damage or light damage will quickly show up. I have used a lot of drapery fabric in quilts in years gone by because I used to do drapery fabrication as a business.