Old 05-03-2017, 03:44 PM
Power Poster

Default Poison Ivy prevention

Thought this was interesting

http://shareably.net/poison-ivy-rash...ampaign=health

anything that may help avoid that rash.

peace
Old 05-03-2017, 05:05 PM

That was a good tutorial. Thanks for posting it.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:27 PM
Power Poster

Thanks. I sent the link to my dh. He is very allergic to poison ivy and there is a lot of it around here. Nice to know he doesn't need the expensive Technut (?sp) stuff. ��
Old 05-03-2017, 06:00 PM

Just reading the words make me think I'm breaking out. I've had it so bad that I've begged the doctor to kill me. DH doesn't get poison ivy and it took a couple of summers when we were first married to make him understand what pain he'd suffer from me if he didn't learn what it looks like and to stay away from it. He now coats his hands and arms in Dawn Dish Detergent when he works outside. He washes at the outside faucet and dries off with paper towels that go in the burn barrel. His yard work clothes go straight into the washer with laundry detergent and a little Dawn. If I think I've gotten anywhere near poison ivy I come in and bathe in cold water, using Dawn from head to toe and then head to toe with soap. I rinse for a long time and then pat dry with paper towels.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:08 PM
Power Poster

thanks for sharing
Old 05-03-2017, 08:51 PM

Good to know. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:15 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by marge954 View Post
Just reading the words make me think I'm breaking out. I've had it so bad that I've begged the doctor to kill me.
You are HILARIOUS. !!!!! But I know exactly what you are talking about. It's pretty much my experience with the nasty stuff too. We live out in the woods and you just wouldn't believe how much PI is all around us! There's WAY too much to kill with RoundUp.

The washing and scrubbing is good IF you know you have come in contact with it... I usually don't know. I know full well what it looks like from a lifetime of avoiding it, but I usually break out from my dog's fur, when he has walked through some and the oils are on his coat. No way of knowing then. Another way is from touching tractor tires, or the tires of other vehicles that may have run over some. You wont know the oils are there. You have to be totally paranoid, all the time, to avoid a hideous outbreak.

The worst are the "hairy vines" that climb up your trees. If you see those-- DON'T TOUCH! They are many times more potent than the leaves. When we first moved out here and were trying to clear some land, my son and I were tearing those hairy vines down off the trees with our bare hands! (We were ignorant city slickers then...) Oh my gosh! Our faces swelled up like balloons! Utter misery for like two weeks.
Old 05-04-2017, 02:45 AM

I've also can't be around the stuff. My doctor told me it's a four season plant because of its oils are always there.
Old 05-04-2017, 02:46 AM

great info....thanks for posting!
Old 05-04-2017, 03:16 AM

As a child/teen I was able to roll around in the stuff and never have a reaction. FF to 50+...OMG! I had the rash so bad at one point I had to admit to defeat and go to the doc who claimed I had a combination of poison ivy; oak and sumac simultaneously. Talk about wanting someone to shoot me and put me out of my misery!

Now I just cover up from head to toe and like Marge954's hubs - clothes go into the washer and I get directly into the shower. If hubs knows he's been exposed, he won't even come near me until he's gone through the same routine.