Poison Ivy prevention

Old 05-04-2017, 05:26 AM

Thanks for sharing this video. We have poison oak or poison ivy (I can't tell the diff) in our shrubbery. My husband won't weed, and I've been putting it off. This helps....somewhat...I still have to do the weeding. GRRR!
Old 05-04-2017, 06:04 AM

Thanks for posting. I have heard of this, but like Sewbizgirl says, you have to be aware you've come in contact with it. I'm very sensitive to it and can get it from secondary contact like with my dogs. My neighbor's son told us that he had found some in the corner of his mom's yard when he was over cleaning up for her. It was coming from our side of the fence. I made my husband go out to the corner of the yard where we have the "jungle" and clean it out. I wouldn't go near that corner for weeks.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:10 AM

Thanks for posting the info about Dawn. I am putting it on my shopping list now.

FYI.....The roots are really bad too. I pulled the stuff out of the ground and took a lot of care not to touch the leaves and the roots sent me to the doctor. PI is just BAD!
Old 05-04-2017, 06:19 AM
Power Poster

On a side note: burning poison ivy is dangerous!
Old 05-04-2017, 07:26 AM
Power Poster

RoundUp is the only safe way to get rid of it without touching it. But... it takes a LOT of RoundUp and is not cheap. Plus you will have to do it several times to completely eradicate it. PI has a very extensive root system that travels underground over large areas.

Dawn is good, but it's not so much what kind of soap you use to wash, as it's the scrubbing action to get the oils off your skin. You have to use a wash cloth or scrubbie of some sort to wash with, to rub the skin. Soap alone won't get the oils off.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:51 AM

http://www.theglovedhand.com/

I checked out this website and IMHO the husband and wife are nuts for touching this stuff but the website was informative and interesting. There is a picture of the husband holding the poison ivy hairy vine that runs up a tree. The vine was about 6" around and about 10 feet long.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:57 AM
Power Poster

i'm not all that sensitive to poison ivy, but thanks for the info. it might come in handy for some, and what a relief that will be. Some very good information in this article. I hope i'll never have to use it. Watch, now i'll get some of it.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:58 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
On a side note: burning poison ivy is dangerous!
I knew a girl in 7th grade who was hospitalized with it in her lungs from burning it.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:33 PM

If someone has it on their clothes and sits with these clothes, I can even have an attack this way. I don't even have to see three leaves. Misery.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:11 PM

Used to get every summer in Oregon--poison oak--one time so bad the Dr thought I had blood poisoning. A Native man told me to eat some of the berries--no way--might work for him. My hubby would go hunting and I would catch as he had rubbed against it so I would see he took his clothes off and put right into the washer. The farmer's would burn their fields and I would catch it from the smoke. Wish I had known about this man's suggestion back then because we don't have any plants like that in Alaska. Just Devil's Club which sticks into your skin and drives you crazy from the pain.