Portable design board

Old 01-13-2014, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by CharlotteO View Post
Just an idea, but has anyone seen the cardboard folding display boards. Large center section, folding wings. What if that was covered with fleece, even using spray basting, would that make a usable portable design board. I have no idea if this would work, but recall seeing the boards before Christmas at Staples when shipping gifts.
If necessary duct tape or masking tape could be put around the edge to keep whatever fabric is used to cover the cardboard. Wouldn't last forever, but might be inexpensive enough to be doable.
In one of my small groups we did this. Just glued batting onto the board, even the sides that fold in. We cut a piece of clear vinyl the size of the middle section and when we get ready to leave just clip that (using those bulldog clips) to the middle (to keep everything in place) fold in our sides and ready to go. They stand up pretty good
Old 01-13-2014, 09:12 AM

Just a chuckle to add. My secret Santa sent me a pretty 'portable design wall' in my gift, and dufus that I am, I looked at it and thought it was a 'stuff it yourself' pillow! Lol!
Old 01-13-2014, 09:58 AM

Oh, thank you so much ladies. Your ideas have sparked my brain to look at things to use. Fantastic answers.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:44 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
Is it possible to make a portable design board to take to classes with samples on.
The easiest for toting around ... buy some fleece (or flannelette) .... and take some painters tape.
You can then tape it to any wall, with no damage.
When your class is over, you can carefully remove it with all your pieces in tact and roll it up, to take home.

I too was thinking that the student project boards mentioned above would be perfect for those wanting a small design wall.

Another portable one I've seen ... make a panel with rod pockets top and bottom .... put over a door and you have a design wall on both sides of the door. This isn't so realistic for a class, unless you can lay claim to the classroom door! It does work great for those who travel as it can be easily rolled up and tucked into the car or a corner of a trailer.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:06 PM
Power Poster

Fons and Porter has a great one that you hang on the wall on hooks. It can be taken down anytime...
Old 01-13-2014, 08:16 PM

A flannel-backer plastic table cloth can be hung on the wall for a portable design board. Works great and takes little space to transport--leaving more room for fabrics. lol
Old 01-13-2014, 11:47 PM

Maybe these could be adapted for travel.
http://beeinmybonnetco.blogspot.com/...-tutorial.html
Old 01-14-2014, 06:05 AM

I found a package of 6 foam insulation board pieces, each 18" x 48". I duck taped 2 together on one side so they will fold. I did this with 4 pieces to make 2 separate 36" x 48" boards. Covered these with flannel. When I need the board I can lean against the wall next to each other. This works for me. I live in a condo with minimum storage. These fold up for easy storage and fit in the car if I want to transport.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:18 AM

How about a trifold display board. My youngest just used one for her science fair project. I may need to pull off the photos and cover it with felt.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:35 AM

These are wonderful ideas - now to pick the one that I want. Decisions, decisions!