Portable design board

Old 01-12-2014, 07:34 AM

Default Portable design board

Is it possible to make a portable design board to take to classes with samples on.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:53 AM

My design board is made by cutting a 4 x 8 piece of styrofoam board into 4 pieces, which makes each one 2 x 4 ft, easier for me to put on the wall or take with me. Also, easier to use scrap batting pieces to cover it.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:47 AM
Power Poster

What size do you need? If it has to go in the car, it will need to be foldable or assemble on site. I think it was Sewmanyways.blogspot that had instructions for a plastic pipe frame and a flannel pillowcase style small design board.
I have used a large piece of cardboard with flannel glued on. I had it fold in the middle so it could go in my car and the fold lets it stand in a V shape on a table or floor. I " borrowed" a large piece of cardboard from between the paper towel layers in the Walmart. I did ask first and they were glad to get rid if it. Another possible idea is the cardboard backboard project displays that are sold for student projects here. I don't know if you have them at your office and school supply stores there though?
Old 01-12-2014, 10:20 AM

I just folded some flannel around a square of heavy duty cardboard and use a bookstand to set it on when I go to workshops or my MIL's. Mine is roughy 20 x16.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:14 AM
Power Poster

The design wall from sewmanyways.blogspot.com was listed on May 27, 2009 . It makes a 32X32 inch portable design wall out of the plastic plumbing pipe and flannel. It is under a tool time tuesday...Portable Design Wall.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:44 PM

Just an idea, but has anyone seen the cardboard folding display boards. Large center section, folding wings. What if that was covered with fleece, even using spray basting, would that make a usable portable design board. I have no idea if this would work, but recall seeing the boards before Christmas at Staples when shipping gifts.
If necessary duct tape or masking tape could be put around the edge to keep whatever fabric is used to cover the cardboard. Wouldn't last forever, but might be inexpensive enough to be doable.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by CharlotteO View Post
Just an idea, but has anyone seen the cardboard folding display boards. Large center section, folding wings. What if that was covered with fleece, even using spray basting, would that make a usable portable design board. I have no idea if this would work, but recall seeing the boards before Christmas at Staples when shipping gifts.
If necessary duct tape or masking tape could be put around the edge to keep whatever fabric is used to cover the cardboard. Wouldn't last forever, but might be inexpensive enough to be doable.
Exactly where my mind was going!
Old 01-12-2014, 03:19 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

This is how I made mine.

Jan in VA
Attached Thumbnails cutting-mat-carrier.jpg  
Old 01-12-2014, 08:16 PM
mem

One really easy design "board" is a flannel-backed tablecloth. Lay out your pieces on the flannel side and roll it up. You can roll it around a pool noodle to help keep everything smooth. Easy to carry and to store. If you want to hang it up, you can use 3M sticky-back clips on a wall, or you can use pants/skirts hangers (clamp them to the top of the tablecloth and hang over the top of a door, on hooks, etc.). One friend even put buttonholes in her tablecloth and hooks it onto 3M sticky-back hooks. For one of my king-size quilts, I sewed two tablecloths together to accommodate the many squares that had to be in definite pattern. That thing got rolled up and toted all over the country (seriously!) as I worked on it while we traveled in our rv.

For a smaller board (up to 20"x30"), I've made little portable design boards out of foam core board and pieces of warm & natural batting using this tutorial <http://beeinmybonnetco.blogspot.com/2011/07/mini-design-board-tutorial.html>. You can make these any size you want...10" squares are good for laying out pieces of small blocks and keeping them organized until you're ready to sew them. You can stack them and transport them in a tote bag or box.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:57 AM

this was my first thought
Originally Posted by CharlotteO View Post