Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Pre Hallowe'en Horrors - Not for the Faint of Heart >

Pre Hallowe'en Horrors - Not for the Faint of Heart

Pre Hallowe'en Horrors - Not for the Faint of Heart

Old 10-01-2016, 10:17 AM
mac

Whenever I change my bobbin I try to give it a little brush up. Then when I am finished with a project, I do a real clean up job. In the long run, keeping the sewing machine clean will help keep the sewing machine in tip-top shape and save $$$ on having it fixed. Just saying...
Old 10-02-2016, 01:23 PM

Go to your local cheap stuff store, and buy a cheap package of paint brushes for cheap artists. Do not get the ones that have black shiny bristles, they can actually shed into your machine (bad idea). Look for the ones that are reddish brown and look a little fluffy. I use one to get ALL the lint out of my machine, then run it gently through a comb to remove the lint. I now have five different sizes and when I am done, my machine has no lint left. Just remember to keep these brushes for your sewing machines to avoid getting the wrong substance in your machine. They are also great for 'detailing' my electronics when the covers are left off. Grrrr!
Old 10-02-2016, 01:53 PM

Oh, good reminder. I wonder what I'll find. Madamekelly, thanks for the cheap tip.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:14 AM

Wow! My machine would have refused to work with those fuzz balls. Good for you for sprucing it up! Last week, my baby was clunking along, tension was bad, and skipping stitches. I knew surely I would have to bring it in for attention. Decided to clean the bobbin area and put in a new needle. There were a few little fuzz balls in the corners beneath the bobbin case. Amazing! Now it's working like a charm. Thanks for the Q-tip and paint brush tips. I will definitely bring some to my sewing area.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:26 AM

WOW -- that is a lot of lint. I try to clean my Janome after a project -- I use brushes and pipe cleaners and even a bit of a vacuum. I also oil it under the bobbin case at that time to keep from having problems. I usually spend half an hour cleaning it -- especially if I have been sewing flannel.
Old 10-08-2016, 12:19 PM
Power Poster

The Juki is a pain to get open! I have the same one... I was spoiled by my Bernina Record 830, which was made with ease of cleaning in mind. Everything just pops off and then snaps right back on. The stupid Juki has to be unscrewed completely and the screws are at a weird angle without much room. Therefore I don't clean it as often as it needs. It seems to manufacture extra lint out of fabric and thread, too. Could definitely have been designed better.