Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   bad week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/bad-week-t19760.html)

littlehud 05-05-2009 09:49 AM

I am ready to give up on my knee. I had three injections of orthovisc in my knee. It is supposed to replace the cushion in my knee that I have lost. First two were great but after the last one my knee locked up. Wow did that hurt. Now the pain just keeps getting worse. My dr. says it may be cartilage floating around in my knee. Ick. I now have a MRI scheduled for Friday and that will tell them if they just need to do surgery to clean out the bad cartilage or if they need to do a knee replacement. I'm hoping for the lesser surgery. I'm to young for a knee replacement, but I can't continue to take three or four Ibuprofen at a time. Send good thought my way.

leona07 05-05-2009 09:58 AM

I have known two people now who have had their knees replaced. Both around age 55. They say it was the best thing they ever did!! One of them had the other one done too because they were so happy with the results. She also has had her shoulder done, and one hip. I think she is like 40% titanium now!!! She had some serious injuries when she was young due to an accident so now that she is getting older she has required these surgery to fix these failing areas.

I remember when I was young that my great-grandma had her knee replaced but it still caused her nothing but trouble. I think the way they do it, and the products they use now days must really be something.

I don't know how old you are, but I don't think you can be too young to have a surgery if you need it!! You recover much faster, and the risks involved are much less the younger you are. However, what do I know??? I am no doctor!!

I do hope that you require the lesser surgery, or no surgery at all!!!! And I hope they can get rid of your pain for you!!! Best wishes to you!!!!

Knot Sew 05-05-2009 10:03 AM

I hope things improve and they can help you quick...quick...quick :wink:

Izy 05-05-2009 10:07 AM

Have to agree with Leona, my DH John had a total knee replacement aged 55 and it was the BEST thing he ever did, he plays golf and can do anything he wants to now. Technology has improved such a lot over the last decade or so. Plus the sooner you have it done the less stress on your muscles and ligaments which support the knee so you get a quicker recovery. Good luck!! :D

Shemjo 05-05-2009 10:18 AM

Praying that you get the best treatment, with outstanding results! :lol:

Ninnie 05-05-2009 11:02 AM

So sorry you are having knee problems, I know how painful that can be.

Ninnie

littlehud 05-05-2009 01:25 PM

Thanks you so much for the answers. Here I thought 56 was way to young for this and I find out there are others who have had it even younger. Thanks for your support.

amma 05-05-2009 01:28 PM

I hope that the lesser surgery will do the trick for you. I too know people who had this done and after the inital recovery time, they are more active than ever!!!

leona07 05-05-2009 01:30 PM

By the way....Keep us posted!!!

Best of luck to you!

nativetexan 05-05-2009 02:57 PM

my hubby had shots in his knees two years ago, well three and it helped him a lot. they only last about one year. he went back for another shot and they told him to get his knees replaced. now he's 84 yrs old and really needed that. he got one replaced in March and will get the other one done soon. good luck.