Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Beware of Wallmart phishing scam (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/beware-wallmart-phishing-scam-t221619.html)

QandE2010 05-17-2013 01:49 PM

Also, all the financial institutions, credit card companies, lenders, etc. will address you with your name, - not customer, client, sir, or ma'am. And even if everything looks on the up and up, a spelling mistake or misuse of a word can tip you off as to the legitimacy of the email. Such as using the wrong spelling or wrong meaning to: your instead of you're, too - to - two, lose - loose, me - myself, threw - through, one - won, wait - weight, rain - reign, they're - their - there.
I could go on and on.

judykay 05-17-2013 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B (Post 6069557)
See computers have taken us captive!!

That is the strange part, this is a credit card that I have never used on line, I have two others that I use on line so it is easier to keep track of.

Diana Lea 05-18-2013 12:55 AM

I got an e mail addressing me by my name. I said check this out Diana, this is your friend ( my daughter's name). Did not open that one!

sonisew 05-18-2013 02:54 AM

Thanks for the heads up!

twinkie 05-18-2013 03:41 AM

What a shame. I have never had a minutes trouble with anything I have purchased on line. Wal Mart or any place else.

Retiredandquilting 05-18-2013 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by judykay (Post 6069532)
I am wondering if Bank of America has been compromised as I received an email from them a few weeks back asking if I charged x amount of dollars. I called them to find out what was going on and it turns out the charge was from Bangeldash and they immed. cancelled my card and issued me a new one.

I never thought of that, Judy! Thanks for making me aware!

pippi65 05-18-2013 05:03 AM

I used my credit card at a local grocery store and all of a sudden I had all kinds of charges on my bill. Discover called me right away. It was then in the paper that their security had been breached. It took 3 months to get this straightened out!! Beware. Too bad they don't use their evil minds to do good things.

coopah 05-18-2013 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts (Post 6068638)
I just ordered something from WM and noticed they had an old Amex card of mine stored on their website. I deleted it, even though the exp. date was past.

My problem didn't occur through WM, but another company I'd never used got ahold of an old credit card number and used it. The account had never been closed, so they could use it. I made a personal trip to my bank to make sure and in person that all credit accounts are now closed except the one I use regularly.

MacThayer 05-18-2013 05:03 PM

I used two different cards recently, the 2nd one because the first had been "compromised", so I had to wait for new cards. Then the 2nd one was compromised! The only store that both cards had in common was "Target." I tried contacting them but got no response. Very frustrating! I'd never previously had problems with any card. I think we have to be careful with anything we buy on line. I've gotten to the point where I won't order on line unless they take Pay Pal, which is an added layer of security for those payments.

Cathleen Colson 05-18-2013 08:56 PM

My credit card was compromised at a local gas station. Someone used a device to capture my info from the magnetic stripe on the back of the card. 2 weeks later, my husband's card was also compromised at a different local gas station! Bank of America was on top of it, closed the accounts and issued new cards. They notified the gas stations that their card readers had been tampered with. You can go into the station office and have them run your card which is safer. I now go to a station that has tamper resistant card readers on its pumps.