Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Blackeyed peas and greens on New Year's Day (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/blackeyed-peas-greens-new-years-day-t173999.html)

valleyquiltermo 01-01-2012 12:06 PM

You bet every year since I could eat table food.

karenpatrick 01-01-2012 12:07 PM

In my neck of the woods, it's ham and cabbage on New Years day. I have the ham and dh just went to the store to buy cabbage.

joyce j 01-01-2012 01:17 PM

Last night was blackeyed peas an the greens ,which were super, with frirend an her family . today its ham, cabbage potatoes an carrots. Happy New Year everyone.

Mundy 01-01-2012 01:23 PM

a friend of mine alwasy said this is a musy plus pork well need to say she is gone and I do what she always said also must a potote and pea corn ormenta on youre tree who knows butu I do that to

Patty Patches 01-01-2012 01:50 PM

We drop a dime in the cabbage for wealth.Who ever gets the dime will have unexpected wealth

nativetexan 01-01-2012 03:06 PM

well i'm making Great Northern Beans with ham. Does that count?

Quiltaddict 01-01-2012 03:14 PM

I always have blackeyed peas on New Year's Day (originally from Texas). I'd better go make sure I have some before I go to the store in case I need to buy some. thanks for the reminder.

Gaijin 01-01-2012 03:24 PM

Here in Japan we eat ozoni (a soup made with vegetables and chicken) poured over grilled mochi (glutinous rice made into small blocks or rounds) and/or o-sekihan, azuki beans and glutinous rice steamed together and sprinkled with salt and black sesame seeds. My mother is from Texas, and you can bet she made a pot of black-eyed peas and greens-her favorite dishes!

Lady Diana 01-03-2012 07:19 AM

My husband is from Arkansas andhe insists on Black Eyed Peas on New Years too. It is a southern thing. My DAD, from a farm in Kansas always said, those are not for human consumption, that is what we fed the cows. (Cow Peas)

I like them, but they take a long time to cook. I was so busy quilting that I forgot to put them on to cook. They were soaked, but not cooked..which takes hours and hours. I needed a quick fix....went to the internet and found a recipe for the pressure cooker.

I smashed the garlic, added the pepper flakes and ham and put it in the pressure cooker. IT WAS ALL DONE IN 11 MINUTES! I could not believe it. The recipe called for spinach to be put in for a few minutes after the peas were done.
I had fresh spinach, put in two cups. It turned out great.
Husband loved the added spinach idea.....he too was surprised at the pressure cooker recipe....guess I will do this again.
Diana in TX

Roxanne 01-03-2012 07:40 AM

I NEVER tempt fate and eat my peas and collards (with BBQ and cornbread) every New Years day!

Sorta like my husbands traditional standing rib roast and yorkshire pudding for Christmas.