Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Body Language (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/body-language-t161763.html)

Lneal 10-19-2011 07:49 PM

Averting the Eyes and a forced smile. That's what I got in return when I gave a genuine smile to someone I was passing.

I am not being thin skinned or over reacting but I know it meant something and I can't quite figure it out .

cherrio 10-19-2011 07:53 PM

maybe he/she was just having a bad day. we have no way of knowing what someone else is dealing with in their life on a daily basis. so , don't take it personal-move on and just hope that the smile you put out there will be a positive influence on the rest of his/her day!

luckylindy333 10-19-2011 07:59 PM

The only way you are ever going to find out is to ask in a nice way... otherwise you are just going to wonder and guess forever.

Lisanne 10-19-2011 09:15 PM

Not everyone is used to having strangers smile at them, and they may not quite know what to do. The averted eyes are probably just that the person wasn't up for social interaction, not that they were snubbing you. They are polite enough to smile back, so accept that.

I speak from experience - in fact, this happened to me today. I happened to idly glance at someone who was NOT facing me, and she turned at that very moment, caught my eye and gave me a big smile. I was exhausted and hot and sticky and wanting a shower, a meal and a lot of sleep, and I did exactly what you described: I smiled back, but I looked away.

Willa 10-19-2011 09:50 PM

I take it you didn't know this person. It could be habit or they're shy or both. I don't like people to think I'm staring at them and tend to do this and I usually tend to be very shy around people I don't know. I don't mean anything insulting by doing that. Now if someone flips "the bird" or gives you a sour looking face then I might be a little concerned if I was you. As it is accept the smile:)

Sadiemae 10-19-2011 09:50 PM

Sometimes I think it is a sign of our times and how our society has changed over the years. 10 or even 15 years ago everyone smiled at everyone. Many still do, but lots of people wonder what you are up to if you smile at them.

In the same mammer I try to return phone calls, letters, Thank you's, and PM's as soon as possible. Not everyone does...and it makes you feel kind of unimportant.

I like to hold the door for people when given the opportunity. People are often very surprised when I do this. It used to be routine for people to hold the door for others.

Annaquilts 10-19-2011 09:53 PM

Shy. I can be that way. I can also be overly friendly, scaring people. LOL Also after my mother passed away I had a hard time comunicating and did not want people to see my pain. Unless the person was directly rude I would just ignore it.

Lneal 10-20-2011 03:00 AM

Actually it was someone I have known for a long time. Maybe all of you are right and I shouldn't worry about it anymore. Thanks for your thoughts about this.

QuiltnNan 10-20-2011 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by cherrio
maybe he/she was just having a bad day. we have no way of knowing what someone else is dealing with in their life on a daily basis. so , don't take it personal-move on and just hope that the smile you put out there will be a positive influence on the rest of his/her day!

ditto

BKrenning 10-20-2011 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by Lisanne
Not everyone is used to having strangers smile at them, and they may not quite know what to do. The averted eyes are probably just that the person wasn't up for social interaction, not that they were snubbing you. They are polite enough to smile back, so accept that.

I speak from experience - in fact, this happened to me today. I happened to idly glance at someone who was NOT facing me, and she turned at that very moment, caught my eye and gave me a big smile. I was exhausted and hot and sticky and wanting a shower, a meal and a lot of sleep, and I did exactly what you described: I smiled back, but I looked away.

I think this is what happened also. Many, many people would do this if a stranger smiled at them.