Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Boy jailed for having a permanent marker! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/boy-jailed-having-permanent-marker-t85257.html)

amandasgramma 12-26-2010 09:57 AM

Now this is rediculous!!!! A teacher saw a boy with a permanent marker in school, called the police and had him arrested!!!! Apparently there's an obscure law about permanent markers and graffitti!!!!!

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documen...ker-possession

Momma_K 12-26-2010 10:10 AM

OMLord!! That is going just a bit to far!! I understand the whole graffiti thing but that was rediculous! Can you imagine how the poor little boy felt! I bet he was scared to death! What is the world coming too these days! Well I know but won't go there. :evil: It's just awful!

Cyn 12-26-2010 10:13 AM

What a shame!

sewgull 12-26-2010 10:20 AM

As a teacher she could have handled this better.

ptquilts 12-26-2010 10:20 AM

that's what happens with "Zero tolerance" - you probably can not even bring a vitamin pill to school anymore.

amandasgramma 12-26-2010 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
that's what happens with "Zero tolerance" - you probably can not even bring a vitamin pill to school anymore.

No you can't. My SIL just retired from teaching. Her classroom was clear across the way from the main office. (a playground in between the two). One of her students had asthma. The administration said she could WALK to the nurse's station to get her asthma meds. If that were my child I'd be suing to get their attention --- they put that child in a life threatening situation. And I've heard of girls being expelled for having aspirin and Midol!!!!!!! I would have missed more school than being in it had I not had one of the two!

Chasing Hawk 12-26-2010 10:27 AM

When Anthony was in Middle School. I was asked to come in and talk to the school counselor. Apparentanly Anthony was "doodling" on an already graded paper after he finished a reading assingment.

Her claim........he was practicing devil worshiping.
Anthony's doodle............a bunch of monsters and dragons.

I left the room laughing, I told her to call me if he smacks someone.

According to the aticle, he was writing on a piece of paper, which "bled" onto the desk itself. I guess bleed throughs are now graffiti.
Unless he was actually "tagging" the desk, she was out of line. IMO

Chasing Hawk 12-26-2010 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma

Originally Posted by ptquilts

No you can't. My SIL just retired from teaching. Her classroom was clear across the way from the main office. (a playground in between the two). One of her students had asthma. The administration said she could WALK to the nurse's station to get her asthma meds. If that were my child I'd be suing to get their attention --- they put that child in a life threatening situation. And I've heard of girls being expelled for having aspirin and Midol!!!!!!! I would have missed more school than being in it had I not had one of the two!

My oldest daughter had asthma, while in school they too told me she had to keep her inhaler in the nurses office. I told them, the hell with you, she could die before she reached the nurses office. And who is to say the nurse would or wouldn't be in there.

BTW, teachers hated me.

franie 12-26-2010 10:29 AM

What has this world come to? Graffitti is something to worry about when we have gun toting students?

dellareya 12-26-2010 11:05 AM

I'm not posting this to cause a debate-just another side of the story.

I think there is more to this story then we have the facts on. This happened in a middle school. There is NO reason to have this permanent marker there. The students know the policy, yet this boy was still using the marker. He tried to hide the marker when the teacher asked for it. Hiding the making and not willing to give it to her was probably a huge Red flag to the teacher. If the marker had "bleed" through the paper it means the desk was marked up. Somebody will have to scrub that desk clean and you can bet it will not be the custodian, it will be the teacher. It should have been the student.
If you have ever been up close and personal with the door to your classroom, a bathroom that will be closed until it can be repainted, the walls of your school, the floor, or your car covered with filthy hurtful permanent words you might think differently.
Perhaps this could have been handled in a different way and we really don't know all the facts. I'm just sharing another side to this problem.