Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Bruises (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/bruises-t122437.html)

quilterj 05-11-2011 04:50 PM

Does anyone know if there is anything that helps to make them go away quickly? I am mostlyantly hurting my right at work pulling floats, bumping into pallets. They are on my shine bone. Working in a warehouse really gets to me some days.

redquilter 05-11-2011 04:57 PM

There's a product called Arnica. It's sold in health food stores. It helps with bruises and muscle aches, etc. Also, a dermatologist once told me (because I bruise easily) to immediately gently rub the area and do it repeatedly and apply ice if you can. It helps.

no1jan 05-11-2011 05:20 PM

Thanks for the tips, I am on Warfarin because of a blood disease which causes blood clots. When my INR is too high, as it is now, I bruise very easily.

Right now, I look like I have been in a football game as I have bruises on my arms the size of grapefruits. My husband and I get strange looks when we are shopping and I just tell him you better be nice, I could have you arrested, lol. He is the love of my life, (after almost 39 years of marriage) and wouldn't hurt a flea!

Originally Posted by redquilter
There's a product called Arnica. It's sold in health food stores. It helps with bruises and muscle aches, etc. Also, a dermatologist once told me (because I bruise easily) to immediately gently rub the area and do it repeatedly and apply ice if you can. It helps.

donnajean 05-11-2011 05:50 PM

I always heard vitamin C helped with bruising. This article says 200mg/day. You just reminded me I need to take some. I've been a clutz lately.

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART02931/Bruises.html

knlsmith 05-11-2011 05:56 PM

I work in a factory and I am constantly bumping into something. Not my work area, I'm just naturally "graceful.". I just have become immune to it. Sorry, not much help.

BTW, don't you love dropping pallets on your foot? Especially the CHEP. LOL

BETTY62 05-11-2011 06:04 PM

If you haven't already done so, you should discuss this with your doctor as it is often a sign of low iron and B12.

Painiacs 05-11-2011 06:16 PM

No 1 Jan. I say stuff like that to hubby too! Thought I was only one! Makes us laugh! Arried 28 yrs'

Ramona Byrd 05-11-2011 06:34 PM

. They are on my shine bone. Working in a warehouse really gets to me some days.[/quote]
-------------------
Are the bruises low enough that you could cover them with boots?
Almost all the time, unless it's dress up, I wear lace up Cowboy Roper Boots. They are about 7 or more inches high, enough to strengthen my long ago broken ankle, and tight enough to fit under jeans or slacks. Not cheap, but comfortable, far more than lower ones, even sneakers or any of the fancy "tennis, walking, hiking, or running" shoes.
There are boots that are made for several occupations, you might look into them. Since you work in a place where this seems to be going to happen often, then protect yourself from future pain and potential breaks.

Ramona Byrd 05-11-2011 06:45 PM

[quote=donnajean]I always heard vitamin C helped with bruising. This article says 200mg/day. You just reminded me I need to take some. I've been a clutz lately.
---------------------------
200 milligram of vitamin C? Doesn't sound right to me, I usually take 2 thousand per day. I think I read somewhere that some government agency said we all needed about 200 or so MGs per day, except for growing children, pregnant women, sick people, the elderly, those working hard or doing heavy exercise, etc. In other words, all folks should take 200 MGs but the rest should take more...which as usual doesn't make good sense. You have to do your own testing to find what is best for you.
Check with your doctor, maybe he will adjust your medicines.

And what about padded sleeves? You could get overly large shirts and put padding in the sleeves, quilted carefully to fit.
Or would they be too hot?

Kuusistoquilter 05-11-2011 06:49 PM

Arnica gel works for me. If you put in on a fresh bruise, it doesn't even get black and blue.