Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   can you freeze zucchini (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/can-you-freeze-zucchini-t143106.html)

sisLH 08-06-2011 11:08 AM

Have any of you ever frozen raw zucchini? Do you peel it first, slice it, shred it? How have you done it? Does it turn brown if it's frozen raw?

bluteddi 08-06-2011 11:16 AM

I have frozen it...
I slice mine and prepare as if I was going to cook it ( batter, etc) then I lay them out in a single layer on to cookie sheets and freeze about an hour or so( or over night)
then bag and replace in freezer (I have used regular ziplock type freezer bags as well as vac u pacs, both work well, bu they keep longer in the vacu pac of ocourse)
In the ziplock , I used qt size bags and removed what I needed at the time to took ( I fried). The vacupac bags I portioned them inot packages of family meal size.

kathy 08-06-2011 11:24 AM

i think if you're going to use it soon you could do it raw, i think it will dry out faster raw, i blanched mine but it was mushy when it thawed and we didn't really care for it.

C.Cal Quilt Girl 08-06-2011 11:32 AM

Have a sister who pre cooks it some, then freezes.

MissSandra 08-06-2011 11:34 AM

I shreded mine , and froze it in to serving sizes for muffins and fritters there was quite abit of water to it so drain well and pat dry with paper towels.

mimom 08-06-2011 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by sisLH
Have any of you ever frozen raw zucchini? Do you peel it first, slice it, shred it? How have you done it? Does it turn brown if it's frozen raw?

gordon food service sells frozen zuchinni, so I would say yes, just slice it and blanch it first

kberry 08-06-2011 11:42 AM

I shred and freeze it.
Clean it well and don't peel it.
Just cut off the ends and any bad places.

Thaw it out in a drainer.
Before you use it I lay it out on paper towels to absorb much of the water in it.

I use it in breads and cakes.

Never had any problems with it.

If you don't drain it well before using it, your recipe may be a bit too wet which may take it a little longer to bake.

Rose L 08-06-2011 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by MissSandra
I shreded mine , and froze it in to serving sizes for muffins and fritters there was quite abit of water to it so drain well and pat dry with paper towels.

This is how I prepare mine also. I just put it in Ziplock bags, portioned for the recipes I use for breads, cakes and cookies. Then I put all the small bags in another larger Ziplock to give an extra layer of protection from freezer burn. It works fine for me this way.

Jim 08-06-2011 11:45 AM

I freeze it...cut it in pieces for soups etc...if for breads and muffins I go ahead and shred it...just baked 3 loaves of zucchini bread and 54 muffins last night and have lots of it back in the freezer...can keep it up to a month in freezer after baked

jaciqltznok 08-06-2011 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by sisLH

yes I do...shredded mostly for stews and breads in the winter...