Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Can you wash a quilted handbag? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/can-you-wash-quilted-handbag-t234289.html)

ragquilter 11-08-2013 11:00 AM

Can you wash a quilted handbag?

Has anyone washed a handmade purse and how did it come out? I was thinking hand wash but maybe on gentle cycle in the washer would work.

nativetexan 11-08-2013 11:45 AM

I would think it depends on what kind of handle you add, if any. But soaking it in a pan by hand would work too.

EllieGirl 11-08-2013 12:34 PM

I used to buy Vera Bradley purses which are quilted. I washed them by turning them inside out and washing on the hand wash cycle. Some had cardboard in the bottom for stability and I took that out.

ragquilter 11-08-2013 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by EllieGirl (Post 6394225)
I used to buy Vera Bradley purses which are quilted. I washed them by turning them inside out and washing on the hand wash cycle. Some had cardboard in the bottom for stability and I took that out.

I had not thought about the cardboard bottom, thanks. I'm glad I didn't just throw it in the wash before I asked.

Stitchnripper 11-08-2013 02:10 PM

I made a few for me and friends. One friend washed and dried hers like normal laundry. Took out bottom first. No problem with them.

ragquilter 11-08-2013 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper (Post 6394337)
I made a few for me and friends. One friend washed and dried hers like normal laundry. Took out bottom first. No problem with them.

Thanks, I wasn't sure if I would ruin my purse by washing it. Your reply makes me feel better about washing it.

ckcowl 11-08-2013 04:19 PM

I wash my quilted purses/totes when ever they need it- toss them right in the washer & dryer with everything else...but they are quilted well- just like a quilt- with the same types of battings. I would guess it depends on how it is quilted & what batting is used- I have a quilted wallet I purchased years ago that has been washed a few dozen times too- I've never had any problems with it- but I wash/dry all of my quilts too. to me if I can not wash/dry it It's pretty worthless in my world.

GEMRM 11-08-2013 04:46 PM

I wash the purses I make, taking out the bottom (if any) before. I usually use a gentle cycle and either hang to dry or dry lightly.

noahscats7 11-08-2013 04:55 PM

I remove the bottoms from the inside and just toss it in the wash. Be sure you don't use bleach.

KerryK 11-08-2013 06:30 PM

I washed a Vera Bradley bag that did not have a cardboard bottom. I washed it with clothes on the gentle cycle. I did not put it in the dryer. I smoothed it out with my hands, then hung it on a plastic hanger to air dry. It took 2-3 days to dry thoroughly, but it turned out beautifully, just like new, and I had to press nothing. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.