Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Canned or jarred gravy (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/canned-jarred-gravy-t28857.html)

The Babe 11-16-2009 06:27 PM

I posted the following in the Recipe section but have not received a reply so I thought I would post it here thinking more people come to this section.

I have several good recipes that call for a can or a jar of gravy (mostly beef gravy). I do not care for any of the brands of gravy I have tried and in my opinion it adversely affects the outcome of the casserole I am using it in. Do any of you have a favorite brand of beef gravy or do you know of any tricks to make it taste better or more homemade? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

amandasgramma 11-16-2009 06:30 PM

no --- I make my own. Even when a recipe calls for a can, I generally use a can of beef stock and heat it on the stove. I then add a mixture of cornstarch and water....the usual for making gravy and season to taste. If I have leftover drippings from something I've cooked recently, I'll toss those in.

earthwalker 11-16-2009 06:32 PM

I am guessing you are making casseroles? Here we use a good strong beef stock (homemade is best), this is the European method...oh and a good slug of red wine. If using white meat in the casserole, we would use chicken stock and then a good slug of white wine.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 11-16-2009 07:18 PM

I hate canned gravy. At least all the ones I've tried. If a recipe calls for it, I will use beef stock and corn starch or cream of mushroom soup diluted enough to suit me.

Lostn51 11-16-2009 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
no --- I make my own. Even when a recipe calls for a can, I generally use a can of beef stock and heat it on the stove. I then add a mixture of cornstarch and water....the usual for making gravy and season to taste. If I have leftover drippings from something I've cooked recently, I'll toss those in.

I second this one but if you are in a pinch Pioneer Gravy mix rocks and makes 2 cups of gravy.

Billy

MissTreated 11-16-2009 11:19 PM

I can't imagine why anyone would use canned gravy when gravy is so easy and fast to make from scratch. All the processed ones, whether they be in a jar, can or package taste metallic to me.

I think if the casserole was somthing I made more frequently than other dishes, I would make gravy and freeze it for use at a later date. After Thanksgiving, for example, if I had stuff to make more gravy, that would be a good time to bag some up in the quantity your recipe calls for.

M

tlrnhi 11-16-2009 11:22 PM

I always bag up leftover gravy and freeze it. I can't stand package or jar/canned stuff.

charismah 11-16-2009 11:25 PM

I am not sure that I have ever tried jar gravy? Didn't even know they sold it....I eat the powder stuff...especially when I am trying to cut calories...otherwise I make my own. I also freeze it ...when we have extra..freezes nicely. :D

Quilt4u 11-17-2009 02:42 AM

Home made for me.

Rose Hall 11-17-2009 06:00 AM

ya'll are making me hungry! all of you can cook for me ANYTIME.

Rose Hall