Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Canned or jarred gravy

I posted the following in the Recipe section but have not received a reply so I thought I would post it here thinking more people come to this section.

I have several good recipes that call for a can or a jar of gravy (mostly beef gravy). I do not care for any of the brands of gravy I have tried and in my opinion it adversely affects the outcome of the casserole I am using it in. Do any of you have a favorite brand of beef gravy or do you know of any tricks to make it taste better or more homemade? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

no --- I make my own. Even when a recipe calls for a can, I generally use a can of beef stock and heat it on the stove. I then add a mixture of cornstarch and water....the usual for making gravy and season to taste. If I have leftover drippings from something I've cooked recently, I'll toss those in.

I am guessing you are making casseroles? Here we use a good strong beef stock (homemade is best), this is the European method...oh and a good slug of red wine. If using white meat in the casserole, we would use chicken stock and then a good slug of white wine.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I hate canned gravy. At least all the ones I've tried. If a recipe calls for it, I will use beef stock and corn starch or cream of mushroom soup diluted enough to suit me.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by amandasgramma
    no --- I make my own. Even when a recipe calls for a can, I generally use a can of beef stock and heat it on the stove. I then add a mixture of cornstarch and water....the usual for making gravy and season to taste. If I have leftover drippings from something I've cooked recently, I'll toss those in.
    I second this one but if you are in a pinch Pioneer Gravy mix rocks and makes 2 cups of gravy.

Billy

I can't imagine why anyone would use canned gravy when gravy is so easy and fast to make from scratch. All the processed ones, whether they be in a jar, can or package taste metallic to me.

I think if the casserole was somthing I made more frequently than other dishes, I would make gravy and freeze it for use at a later date. After Thanksgiving, for example, if I had stuff to make more gravy, that would be a good time to bag some up in the quantity your recipe calls for.

M

I always bag up leftover gravy and freeze it. I can't stand package or jar/canned stuff.

Blog Entries
    I am not sure that I have ever tried jar gravy? Didn't even know they sold it....I eat the powder stuff...especially when I am trying to cut calories...otherwise I make my own. I also freeze it ...when we have extra..freezes nicely. :D

Blog Entries
    Home made for me.

ya'll are making me hungry! all of you can cook for me ANYTIME.

Rose Hall

Banned
    Hubby makes ours by scratch,

Yuk on canned or jar. Homemade here or the Pioneer stuff my DH uses occassionally.

Just do as Loretta suggested. Makes a great gravy and is easy as long as you continue to stir until bubbly.
    In otherwords, don't put on the stove and walk away. You have to stay there to do gravy right.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hubbies cook???????? :shock:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
    Hubbies cook???????? :shock:
    hehe..I know what you are saying mine doesn't either.....on teh nights that he has kids because I go to school it is something out of a box..hamburger helper, complete meals , frozen foods..that sort of a thing...which doesn't really bother he or the kids. :D

Thank all of you who have responded. All good suggustions and ones I didn't think of on my own (but should have). At least I know I am not alone when it comes to the taste of the canned/jarred gravy. Everyone have a blessed Thanksgiving. Dixie in AL

my grandson loves the gravy from the cheap packets lol...he says it taste like school or restaurant...really good...my 16 yr old gourmet lol

I have never used anything but home made gravy, for the most part it is pretty easy, though I know a few people that can't do it without a reciepe