Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Coconut oil..... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/coconut-oil-t169449.html)

lfw045 11-23-2011 04:03 PM

Thanks Bellaboo.........now what is that LouAnn's good for besides nothing?...lol...should I just throw it away?

JENNR8R 11-24-2011 08:34 AM

I'm using it to make a dairy-free whipped cream for Thankgiving dinner today. Beat it with a mixer for about five minutes and it comes out like a stable whipped cream.

TanyaL 11-24-2011 08:55 AM

What does it taste like? Do you add any flavorings? I know that whipped cream is not good for our clogged arteries, but if you blind fold me I can still tell whipped cream from Lucky Whip or any other substitute for it. We save the real stuff for special occasions and try to have the rest of the meal low fat. Or else we just pig out on a real old fashioned banquet of a traditional menu when we celebrate something very special.

Suz 11-24-2011 09:00 AM

I recently came upon a health article about the use of coconut oil. Please "Goggle" Dr. Newport & coconut oil. There are many articlles. Find the one that lists YouTube and watch the six part interview w/Dr. Newport and her husband who is suffering from dementia/Alzheimers and the improvement made in just 24 hours. Watch at least until you see the two clock tests. Amazing! The husband does not speak in the early segments, but does toward the end.

Alzheimers is hereditary and if there is a concern within your family, you should be particularly interested in researching coconut oil as preventive/reversing. Start by looking at the Dr.Newport articles.

Yes, I use coconut in my smoothie, my hot tea, on my salad, or just on the spoon. Not too bad. I purchase mine at the health food store.

Ramona Byrd 11-24-2011 12:14 PM

Coconut Oil

I've used it for years instead of artificial fats in cooking. As for the "Coconut" odor, I LOVE it!!
I also rub it on my skin and hair..plus I make a skin lotion both my daughters are glad to get. I barely cover Epsom Salts with water and heat till it's dissolved, then take off the heat
add a lot of Coconut Oil and mix now and then till it's chilled. This sinks in the skin fast..and of course since I read most of us are low in Magnesium, this gives us a bit more. And makes the skin look and feel good, especially for bruises and
scrapes. Since I work with wood often (I'm trying for a window seat in my tiny dining room, plywood is rough) I do tend
to get lots of splinters and scrapes.

BellaBoo 11-24-2011 01:44 PM

If you use virgin pure coconut oil it may have a coconut smell or taste but for cooking and frying you don't want that. The expeller pressed coconut oil has all the benefits of coconut oil, cheaper and doesn't over power with the coconut smell or taste.
check out this link: http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/ex...oconut_oil.htm

BellaBoo 11-24-2011 01:53 PM

I really don't know why anyone would buy LouAnn's coconut oil to use for food. I don't buy any of that brand's products. It's hard to find trustworthy brands that don't take short cuts. The last few years I have ordered most of my stables on line from small independent brands.

bluebird 11-24-2011 04:29 PM

Look up "Oil Pulling" for oral health. Good article about it in Jan. 31, 2011 First For Women magazine.

shrabar 11-24-2011 07:38 PM

I cook with coconut oil & now don't use anything else you have to use a low flame . I don't have any problem with it such as taste

ByThePiece 11-26-2011 03:51 PM

Dr. Joseph Mercola has the world largest (FREE) health newsletter and has a great library of info on foods and illnesses for people (and pets). Google or Bing him, it's .com Anyway I get extra virgin coconut oil for cooking and and capsules for eating and weight loss. But I get mine from Swanson Vitamins, who has their own line but also premium brands at great prices. Have been reading the Mercola newsletter and buying from Swanson for years. Dr. Mercola has guested on Dr. Oz and Swanson sells some of his products. I learned a lot to protect my health from these two sources as well as others. Gabrielle