Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Coconut oil.....

Coconut oil.....

I have been reading about the health benefits of coconut oil recently. Does anyone here use it for cooking or health benefits? I am very interested in hearing your experiences. Thanks!
    Blessed are they that can laugh at themselves, For they shall never cease to be amused.

http://quiltsnmore.webs.com

I use it for conditioning my hair. I like the results.

Blog Entries
    My sister uses it for skin lotion.

I bought some really good coconut oil intending to use it for cooking, but it is very coconutty. It was not supposed to have a coconut flavor... I went back to extra virgin olive oil.
    A woman is like a tea bag - you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water.
    Eleanor Roosevelt

“As we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same”
    ~ Nelson Mandela

My daughter-in-law has lots of allergies to food so she uses it alot. I have cooked with it and can't tell
    the difference between olive oil and coconut oil. It is suppose to be better for you.

it is on the no-no list for diabetics.

Quote Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
    it is on the no-no list for diabetics.
    Why is that, I wonder?
    Blessed are they that can laugh at themselves, For they shall never cease to be amused.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, I wonder also. I take four per day and I'm diabetic.

I think it is because coconut oil is so high in saturated fats.

It is high in saturated fats, however all are not bad. I guess that one has to really do the research on this to make their mind up about whether to use it or not. Here is a link I found interesting:
    http://www.doctoroz.com/blog/charles...ts-coconut-oil

I found that web site really interesting. At the end of it he said to consult your own doctor and of course my doctor has already sent me to the American Diabetes Assoc diet training sessions which is where I was told to avoid the coconut oil. However, if Dr. Oz is right I can now eat candy bars with coconut in them again. Great! Personally I like olive oil for cooking, but I'm REALLY interested to learn if coconut oil if healthy for you,then is coconut also healthy. What do you think?

Blog Entries
    My sister uses coconut oil, and she loves it!
    Sadiemae

I use it on my skin and some for cooking. I like the ones that depart flavor. It especially tastes good in brownies. Not sure if that will depart health benfits that way. LOL Coconut is a very complete food kind of like egg or milk. I also like soap made form coconut oil. I am glad coconut oil is in favor again. The people on the small islands in the pacific ocean depend on the sale of the coconut products to make a living.
    Anna Quilts

There are conflicting ideas about this for diabetics. We are told to stay away from salt, fats and sugar in order to be at optimal control of our diabetes. Lots of people misunderstand that our bodies convert carbohydrates into sugar and they don't easily tell the difference between good and 'bad' sugars or good and 'bad' fats. This is an interesting take on coconut oil:
    http://video.answers.com/how-coconut...tics-242423206

I use it for my skin, and also for cooking.
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

I use it to make soap.

Blog Entries
    I use it for baking and lighthly frying. I buy expeller pressed organic from Walmart but will order from here:http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/ when there is a good sale like buy one get one free. I won't use LouAnn's sold in most grocery stores. That brand uses solvents to expell the oil. All the good part of the oil is destroyed. That's why it's cheaper, the solvent method is fast and easier to produce. The expelled pressed does not taste or smell like coconut oil. I use coconut, safflower, and olive oil. I sometimes mix them together.
    Got fabric?

I used coconut oil for weight loss. Read that in a magazine. Some stars use it.

This was a good thread to start. I have only found the LouAnn's and opened it to realize it didn't even smell like coconuts. Where do I find other brands besides online? Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Walmart here sells the organic coconut oil in the Mexican food aisle. About $8 a pint. It's expeller pressed. I haven't found any coconut oil that smells like coconuts. LouAnn's uses solvents to express the oil, I won't use it for cooking.
    Got fabric?

Thanks Bellaboo.........now what is that LouAnn's good for besides nothing?...lol...should I just throw it away?

I'm using it to make a dairy-free whipped cream for Thankgiving dinner today. Beat it with a mixer for about five minutes and it comes out like a stable whipped cream.

What does it taste like? Do you add any flavorings? I know that whipped cream is not good for our clogged arteries, but if you blind fold me I can still tell whipped cream from Lucky Whip or any other substitute for it. We save the real stuff for special occasions and try to have the rest of the meal low fat. Or else we just pig out on a real old fashioned banquet of a traditional menu when we celebrate something very special.

Suz
    I recently came upon a health article about the use of coconut oil. Please "Goggle" Dr. Newport & coconut oil. There are many articlles. Find the one that lists YouTube and watch the six part interview w/Dr. Newport and her husband who is suffering from dementia/Alzheimers and the improvement made in just 24 hours. Watch at least until you see the two clock tests. Amazing! The husband does not speak in the early segments, but does toward the end.

Alzheimers is hereditary and if there is a concern within your family, you should be particularly interested in researching coconut oil as preventive/reversing. Start by looking at the Dr.Newport articles.

Yes, I use coconut in my smoothie, my hot tea, on my salad, or just on the spoon. Not too bad. I purchase mine at the health food store.

Blog Entries

Coconut Oil

I've used it for years instead of artificial fats in cooking. As for the "Coconut" odor, I LOVE it!!
    I also rub it on my skin and hair..plus I make a skin lotion both my daughters are glad to get. I barely cover Epsom Salts with water and heat till it's dissolved, then take off the heat
    add a lot of Coconut Oil and mix now and then till it's chilled. This sinks in the skin fast..and of course since I read most of us are low in Magnesium, this gives us a bit more. And makes the skin look and feel good, especially for bruises and
    scrapes. Since I work with wood often (I'm trying for a window seat in my tiny dining room, plywood is rough) I do tend
    to get lots of splinters and scrapes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast