Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Coconut oil

Coconut oil

...friend is raving about it for body rash! Anyone know anything about it? Or is this another health ruse? She said one can cook with it too! I have looked on net, but we all know how true that can be......just wondering.....

it works well to calm the rashes..and redness. I also use it for a moisterizer. And yes, it is also great for using to cook with. Things like stir-fry, etc.
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

I watched a cooking show yesterday and the Lady used Coconut oil in a Risotto recipe. I remember growing up and hearing coconut oil was good for stretch marks. And while living in Florida the beach always smelled like coconuts form all the suntan oil.

The Show:
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/southern-at-heart.html

The recipe:
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/d...n-risotto.html
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

Coconut oil has all sorts of beneficial properties, we're just starting to discover. Whether or not it would help a rash, would probably depend upon what was causing the rash. At any rate, it wouldn't hurt to try.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Power Poster
    My hair conditioner has coconut oil in it and it is wonderful. I would think it would be equally nice for skin. As for using it to ingest...tasty but high in calories I believe?

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    NOT a health ruse, just one we are late to discover. Coconut oil....particularly organic oil is not so much an "oil" (liquidy state) as it is like butter cold from the refrigerator. I keep a jar on the kitchen counter to fry some things, fabulous on french toast for instance. It can be used in the hair as well as on the face, hands, body, feet. Truly a healthy, miraculous product for all today.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

I use it to remove my makeup- melts away mascara without burning my eyes. I also get eczema on my elbows and it stops the itch and rash. Good in the kitchen too!

Coconut oil, great for cooking, hair skin, nails, I also give it to my dogs as great for their coats, I buy it bulk size jars in Costco.

Blog Entries
    I use it in liquid form for my hair about one hour before shampooing. It leaves my hair so soft & shiny. It also makes a great moisturizer.

I've been using coconut oil for years. I use it instead of oil in baking and most frying. LouAnn's Coconut Oil it not for food. It uses solvents. The price is the best indicator of solvent use in coconut oil. I buy the virgin and regular (regular has no coconut taste or smell, virgin does) from here: http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Well, thanks for all this info....I went to my local ALDI store - groceries - and found a jar on the shelf, so am going to give it a whirl......it does have a sweet smell to it... Here's a funny-I put a bit on my hand like a hand lotion, and the dog came in the room, nose high in the air, sniffing.......looking for the source of the smell, I guess.....btw, it did feel silky on my hand.......

I use it in place of shortening in my biscuits and pie crusts.

Blog Entries
    Ditto what Jan said. Also, a lady in the local guild uses it as a moisturizer and has beautiful skin. Buy mine at Costco in a huge jar.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

I *love* coconut oil! I normally get heat rashes during the summer when I ride my recumbent trike, and it not only gets rid of it, but it helps keep it from recurring. I rub coconut oil on the rash, followed by Summer's Eve Cotton Breeze powder. Aaaahhh! Relief!

I also use it on my face and hair as a moisturizer. My face is so dry that the skin flakes, but coconut oil completely stopped that. I really can't say enough good things about it!

Coconut oil is solid until the temp gets above about 76 degrees then is becomes a liquid. It's great for any number things.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

Quote Originally Posted by MaggieLou View Post
    Coconut oil is solid until the temp gets above about 76 degrees then is becomes a liquid. It's great for any number things.
    Does this solidifying/ liquefying change hinder the properties of the product? I am going to keep mine in the fridge for storage, I think, take out what I need and leave on counter......

It doesn't seem to change the properties. If you live in a hot climate, just sit it in the garage for a few minutes and it should liquify. We used to live in FL and that's what I did.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

Blog Entries
    *** Good for everything,
    *** BUT it it expensive ($6.98 a pint).
    *** AND it does not keep for every long (goes rancid).
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

My husband uses it twice daily for oral health. He gets a tablespoon of it and swishes it round his mouth for 20 mins. Definitely has whitened his teeth, his gums no longer bleed and he says it makes his mouth/teeth feel cleaner. You need to spit outside (he uses my compost bin) as the oil is not so great down the sink. Oh, the method is called "oil pulling" if anyone wants to google it.

Massage Therapists have been using it for years. Trader Joe's sells it in pint jars. I add it to soups, mix it with nut butters, add a tsp of it to the avocado oil I cook eggs in, and sometimes just grab a teaspoon of it because I like the taste.

Blog Entries
    Being an Oregonian,and all....one must know that it's great for use in extracting useful compounds from what's known as Oregon's largest cash crop.....for medicinal purposes,of course. I just read about it.
    Life may not be the party we planned for,but while we are here we should dance!

I keep one jar in the kitchen and another in the bathroom. I have used it as a moisturizer for several months and can see a difference in skin tone and texture.

It is great for skin and cooking. I get a rash from most lotions but can use coconut oil with no problem.

Blog Entries
    I use it to cook with, ut coconut oil on my stomach when I was pregnant and never got any stretch marks art all. this time of year, it turns into a liquid on my shelves due to heat.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

One thing I will mention is that when cooking with it - you can replace most regular cooking oils with it - the smell of coconut will overwhelm the other smells of what you're cooking - even some fish! When you eat the fish though, it's not going to taste overwhelmingly of coconut.

For the person who mentioned that it can be used in place of shortening, I wonder then if I can adapt my flour tortilla recipe with it then! That would be really nice. Thanks for the information.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast