Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Coconut oil

I was raised on coconut oil, candy, ice cream, cake and all sorts of goodies..... and it is absolutely wonderful in rice and beans made from scratch. I have a pot of it cooking right now, it smells devine. hubby can't wait.

I also use a lot of coconut oil. I love it for everything. It's the only time I lick the spoon after putting an oil in the skillet etc. I also use iit for my skin and hair. It's a wonderful food.
    I quilt, therefore I am.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MarleneC View Post
    I am hearing more bad things about soy in products--I can't use it because I take a blood thinner and some are advising using almond or coconut milk in drinks--I use both almond & coconut milk--less calories than regular milk.
    unfortunately most of the milk substitutes have way too much salt for me...
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Coconut oil is one of my favorite ingredients! My two favorite ways to enjoy it is by scrambling eggs in a little melted in a skillet, and my putting in on my toast instead of butter. It's not often that you can wipe a spoon clean with your finger and rub the excess on your arms and face as a nice moisturizer =).

I use coconut oil in the solution I mix to put on the cloth diaper wipes. My son has very sensitive skin and breaks out when I use the store bought baby wipes (even the ones labeled sensitive). When he has a very bad diaper rash, coconut oil slathered on the area religiously every hour works better than the creams they sell for diaper rash.

I have eczema and I'll reach for the coconut oil if I'm not around anything else and I have a bothersome spot, but it only works when it's small and mild. Anything beyond that, and the coconut oil won't do much for me. I love the smell.

I don't really cook with it because I find the taste affects the food I'm working with. For that reason, I only use it in things that would be complimented by the coconut taste. I know some people say you can't taste the coconut but I find it very apparent.
    ~Erin

Power Poster
    It has many health benefits....

Yes, it affects the taste of fried foods, but I like the slight sweetness so it's okay. I often mix coconut oil and butter. I just made brownies with coconut oil and pulverized black beans. They smell wonderful. I use it and organic butter in my morning coffee, but not as much as the Bulletproof recipe that's circulating around. How can not be better for you than those nasty creamers? Aldi's has a pint of organic coconut oil for $4.99. I like it for my skin, but haven't tried it on my hair. Years ago, I used it on a dog with skin issues and it was extremely difficult to wash out. I have no desire to wash my hair in Dawn dishwashing detergent. It did help with the nasty dandruff she arrived with so for the dog it was worth it.

works for everything! hair, skin, lips . I cook with it too!

I usually take a fresh coconut and grate it and squeeze the milk out of it and make ice cream ...it is to die for....

Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    ...friend is raving about it for body rash! Anyone know anything about it? Or is this another health ruse? She said one can cook with it too! I have looked on net, but we all know how true that can be......just wondering.....
    It is great and islanders have used it forever, hair, skin and food. Just go to the health food store and buy a good quality organic coconut oil.
    Anna Quilts

I use for lots of things, it's a great make up remover to boot. I'm leery of eating too much of it as it's a medium-chain triglyceride and for some people (not all), it plays havoc on their blood cholesterol. It must be the way some people metabolize it. I make soap and coconut oil is about 25% of my recipe (it makes for a soap with nice big bubbles, on top of being moisturizing).

I've never had any go rancid, so there's definitely something wrong if you have a batch do that. I have some that I use strictly for my soap and have been hacking away at that block for years and it still has no smell (just nice and clean).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    NOT a health ruse, just one we are late to discover. Coconut oil....particularly organic oil is not so much an "oil" (liquidy state) as it is like butter cold from the refrigerator. I keep a jar on the kitchen counter to fry some things, fabulous on french toast for instance. It can be used in the hair as well as on the face, hands, body, feet. Truly a healthy, miraculous product for all today.

Jan in VA
    I'm with you Jan. It is a wonderful product but you should use a good organic one.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Blog Entries
    I use it in my hair about once a month. It gets it all conditioned and soft and shiny!
    Patski
    always learning

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Wade View Post
    so you spread it on toast instead of margarine?
    Might be good with a little cinnamon and sugar. Cinnamon is said to help blood sugar too.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Blog Entries
    I love cooking with it. We keep a small container in the bathroom for my little grandaughter for when she hurts down there from a rash. Lots of great things on the market that don't include drugs.
    Judy

My husband uses coconut oil for his eczema. He loves it!
    Quilting is definitely not for the faint of heart.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3