Coconut oil

Old 06-12-2015, 08:51 AM

Being an Oregonian,and all....one must know that it's great for use in extracting useful compounds from what's known as Oregon's largest cash crop.....for medicinal purposes,of course. I just read about it.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:17 AM

I keep one jar in the kitchen and another in the bathroom. I have used it as a moisturizer for several months and can see a difference in skin tone and texture.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:00 AM

It is great for skin and cooking. I get a rash from most lotions but can use coconut oil with no problem.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

I use it to cook with, ut coconut oil on my stomach when I was pregnant and never got any stretch marks art all. this time of year, it turns into a liquid on my shelves due to heat.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:51 PM

One thing I will mention is that when cooking with it - you can replace most regular cooking oils with it - the smell of coconut will overwhelm the other smells of what you're cooking - even some fish! When you eat the fish though, it's not going to taste overwhelmingly of coconut.

For the person who mentioned that it can be used in place of shortening, I wonder then if I can adapt my flour tortilla recipe with it then! That would be really nice. Thanks for the information.
Old 06-12-2015, 03:34 PM

I have been using coconut oil for about a year. Great for stir fry, on toast, on veg. Also for hands and feet. Just be sure to read the label. There is some out there labeled for beauty purposes but not for cooking. The refrigerator suggestion is good. I keep some out for cooking and add to it when necessary.
Old 06-12-2015, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
My hair conditioner has coconut oil in it and it is wonderful. I would think it would be equally nice for skin. As for using it to ingest...tasty but high in calories I believe?
Today on the Dr OZ show they said to rub your dry hair with coconut oil before shampooing and let it sit for 30 min --then shampoo.. I also heard to mix your conditioner with coconut oil --- i tried this and my hair no longer looks dry .
Old 06-12-2015, 04:31 PM

I love coconut oil. I buy the organic, virgin coconut oil at Costco and it is wonderful. I've been using it as a moisturizer for several months and love it. If you have dark spots on your face or hands and use it every day, they will lighten significantly. (I can barely see the one on the back of my hand.)

I also use it in cooking and baking, but my very favorite thing is using it as popcorn oil. We only eat real popcorn popped in a pan on the stove and it is so yummy cooked in coconut oil. Love it!!!
Old 06-12-2015, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by tkee View Post
I use it in place of shortening in my biscuits and pie crusts.
Do you use it as equal replacement cup for cup????? What about in cookies etc?

Thanks for your comments.
Old 06-12-2015, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Does this solidifying/ liquefying change hinder the properties of the product? I am going to keep mine in the fridge for storage, I think, take out what I need and leave on counter......
It says right on the jar: "Highly Stable". it really should not go into the refrigerator. I've never had any go rancid, and have had it around on my counter and pantry shelves for years. The raw, unrefined coconut oil is the kind that is best for you. You can use it in place of butter or other shortening in any cookie or cake recipe.

A friend told me it is very good for preventing Altzheimer's.

And it has a high smoke point. As in: it doesn't smoke as easily when heated too hot.

I use it for frying my eggs every morning, and use it when I fry potatoes. I put in plenty.