Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Confessions of a Quilter (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/confessions-quilter-t218207.html)

Pat M. 04-04-2013 11:28 AM

I shower with my dog. I have no bad quilting habits, HAHA!

Pollytink 04-04-2013 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by NikkiLu (Post 5977361)
Me too! Having been a garmet sewer there is no way to "ease" a sleeve into the armhole without pins and you sewed over them - slowly - so it can be done. However, I do not have a fancy new machine so don't know if you can do this with them or not.

Hey! We've been talking a lot about using Elmer's glue on quilts, wonder how that would work doing this?!

Jan in VA 04-04-2013 02:21 PM

I don't use a 1/4" foot. Ever. I tape a full sticky note pad beside my presser foot and use that as a guide.
I only sew/quilt when I feel like it. And that isn't every day. Or sometimes even every week.
3/4 of my quilting books have been packed away in the attic since I moved into my cottage 4 years ago. Sometimes I miss them, but not often. ;)

Jan in VA

tatavw01 04-04-2013 03:29 PM

I don't put my feed dogs down when I free motion quilt shhhhh!

Luv Quilts and Cats 04-04-2013 03:44 PM

I use sticky notes on the pages of my quilting mags for patterns I want to make. I used to write something on the note to let myself know what the pattern was. Now I just put sticky notes with no writing on them. I guess I want to be surprised when I look through the magazine again.

cathyvv 04-04-2013 03:50 PM

Confession: I am completely unorganized when I sew. The truth - I'm unorganized about everything, but, I can organize other peoples stuff very well! That's because they have to maintain the organization, not me!

On pins:

Try putting your pins in the fabric vertically (pointing from the front of your machine toward the back) instead of horizontally (pointing from the side of your machine toward the needle), and put them in at least 1/2 - 3/4 inch from the sewing machine needle point. (The pins must be clear of both the foot and the needle.)

This works very well; you don't sew over pins and you don't have to pull the pins out of the fabric until you're done sewing.

Caution - this probably won't work on curves or very small pieces.

I also use elmers washable glue, and that works fine.

QuiltnLady1 04-04-2013 03:56 PM

I sometimes use the selvages when cutting pieces -- contrary to the old wives tales they don't shrink a lot extra -- when I am a bit short of fabric (44-45" fabric not being that wide...). I love the selvages of batiks -- they are dyed the same as the fabric and if I am a little bit short the selvages work -- for others I make sure I only use the selvages for 1/8".

coastienest 04-04-2013 05:29 PM

I can't sew until all my housework is done. Is there something wrong with me?

momto5 04-04-2013 05:43 PM

I sew over pins as well..........EVEN ON MY LONGARM!!! And so far, so good, although I KNOW I'm gonna regret it one of these days...but I'm trying to stop, I promise!

hopetoquilt 04-04-2013 07:14 PM

I don't have a stash. Having anything laying around makes me nervous. i don't cover my machine to protect from dust. I don't pin 99% of the time. For every quilt I make for someone else, I want one for myself. My design wall is the floor. My kids jump on every quilt top to make sure they "work." I haven't had my machine serviced in 6 years. I use the cutting lines on my mat for cutting. I once sewed thru the tip of my finger. Ounch! Btw, the statute of limitations on all offenses has passed. Quilting police will not be taking possession of my sewing machine.