Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Cooking question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/cooking-question-t73288.html)

Butterflyblue 10-30-2010 03:28 PM

I have a roast for tomorrow morning. I'm going to put it in the crock pot. The recipe calls for red wine. I ran out of red cooking wine, but I have white cooking wine. Is it really going to make a huge difference if I use white instead of red?

twistedstitcher 10-30-2010 03:30 PM

You don't HAVE to use wine at all. You could substitute water or beef broth.

sewgull 10-30-2010 03:33 PM

All roast are color blind. Could not resist the pun.
It should not make any difference.
Try a couple teaspoons of vineager, really sparks up the favor, also helps tenderize the roast.
What time is lunch? Enjoy the day.

Butterflyblue 10-30-2010 03:37 PM

Thank you for the quick answers!

I do like the flavor the wine gives the roast.

I suspected that after hours in the crock pot, it wouldn't make much difference. And really, I don't drink wine, I just know that they always say white wine is for fish and red wine is for red meat, and that's the way recipes usually call for it.

I usually toss in a little vinegar, too.

Ramona Byrd 10-30-2010 04:32 PM

Ever tried adding a couple cups of strong coffee? And a handful of smashed garlic? Cooked real slow it makes the best pot roast ever, then the liquid makes some real good gravy. Salt and pepper. This isn't fancy, it's an old recipe that my family has used for many years. You could add a touch of wine or vinegar, the vinegar tenderizes it nicely.

Jingle 10-30-2010 04:40 PM

All I ever use is dry onion soup mix and water, I always add some dried garlic.

Chele 10-30-2010 05:38 PM

Any wine should work. Wine does give delicious flavor to dishes and the alcohol content burns off during the cooking process. Try buying table wine versus cooking wine next time. Cooking wine has added salt. A good rule of thumb is to cook with wine that is suitable for drinking, even if you don't drink wine. Bon appetit!

Butterflyblue 10-30-2010 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
Ever tried adding a couple cups of strong coffee? And a handful of smashed garlic? Cooked real slow it makes the best pot roast ever, then the liquid makes some real good gravy. Salt and pepper. This isn't fancy, it's an old recipe that my family has used for many years. You could add a touch of wine or vinegar, the vinegar tenderizes it nicely.

My MIL makes her roasts with coffee. They're always good.

Mimito2 10-30-2010 06:55 PM

I always use broth in mine. I will have to try adding wine.

amandasgramma 10-30-2010 07:12 PM

I don't like wine in my food. Red wine is strong flavored....white wine is milder. Yes, you can substitute. I've used cranberry juice for red wine!!!