Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Do you cover your thread rack? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/do-you-cover-your-thread-rack-t144484.html)

JeannieT 08-11-2011 04:56 PM

I like to see all the pretty colors - my embroidery machine thread is in a wall cabinet with a glass doors, but my regular sewing thread is on one of those 60 spool racks hung on the wall. I have a piece of clear vinyl over it, but can't seem to figure out how to make it not look tacky....
Any suggestions? My studio is clean, (well, sometimes it is) but I guess I am under the impression air and dust can do your thread in over time . True?
Would love to hear your ideas for a wall mounted rack.

Glassquilt 08-11-2011 05:05 PM

A cabinet with glass doors?

mom-6 08-11-2011 05:07 PM

I found a really cute little cabinet in a catalog maybe 10 or more years ago that is a spool rack on the inside and has a door with a cute sewing type design on the front that is decorative and hangs on the wall above one of my sewing machines.
Have not seen one lately though...Would probably be pretty easy to make if one is handy with woodworking.

Maride 08-11-2011 05:11 PM

Mine may look tacky but they are covered with a scarf. I rather have then clean, because the dust will get into the machine if not.

jaciqltznok 08-11-2011 05:29 PM

can you make a wooden frame slightly larger than your rack and put the clear vinyl inside the frame and then place it over the rack...sorta like a window...

sak658 08-11-2011 07:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I took an extra quilt block that my mom had made and stripped around it with muslin and covered my thread holders .I attached ribbon at the top corners and tied a bow. Sweet memories of my mom.. I did not realize how dusty thread can get till I looked at it all one day, and wow...had to unwind the top layer..and cut it.

Thread racks covered
[ATTACH=CONFIG]240375[/ATTACH]

Maggiemay 08-11-2011 09:23 PM

Mine stored in drawers & cases. Funny you should bring this up becuase I was in Beverly's today & noticed how dusty their thread was!

wolfkitty 08-11-2011 09:39 PM

I like to keep my thread covered because I see how dusty it gets in the store. Just in case I were to have any dust at home, with my cat and all (LOL LOL), I put it in a couple of plastic thread boxes, but the were kind of pricey, so I have a couple of red plastic container boxes to keep the dust off. There is a little bit of looking, but not bad, and I prefer to keep the dust off.

JanTx 08-11-2011 10:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
NEVER thought about this! My sewing room is supposed to be the dining room (no one has been clear-the-table worthy in quite some time). My thread holder is sitting on the hutch top - not quite out in the open. I have a recent project in front of it - hanging from a clothes hanger hooked on the cabinet door. Is that enough? (It's not there as a dust cover - just there cause it was a place to put it!)

Are you laughing at my little collection? That's okay! Gotta start somewhere!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]240403[/ATTACH]

Ann L 08-12-2011 01:32 AM

I nerver really thought about it, but I guess it makes sense. I will probably start covering mine now as well. Thanks.