Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Do you have a brown lawn? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/do-you-have-brown-lawn-t140991.html)

debp33 07-28-2011 03:42 PM

I read someone's post the other day about having a brown lawn. Is that typical where you live?

The reason I ask is that I'm in Idaho where we use irrigation water from the ditch for our sprinkler system and run the sprinklers four days a week. Even in drought years we've still had water in the ditch - the season might be shortened, but we still can run it all summer.

Is it brown because you have to conserve water, or because it hasn't rained, or because you only have city/well water, or?

The concept of a brown yard seems foreign to me. Just wondering...

alikat110 07-28-2011 03:43 PM

It's a lovely, dry light blender shade of brown

hopetoquilt 07-28-2011 03:43 PM

When there is a drought or water shortage, there are severe restrictions on how/when we can water our lawns. My lawn looks horrible b/c we have had two very hot summers in a row. It is full of brown grass and weeds.

debp33 07-28-2011 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt
When there is a drought or water shortage, there are severe restrictions on how/when we can water our lawns. My lawn looks horrible b/c we have had two very hot summers in a row. It is full of brown grass and weeds.

Can you still water your gardens?

amma 07-28-2011 03:45 PM

It can be a water shortage due to drought conditions, high price of city water, or it is so hot it is almost impossible to water it enough :D:D:D

amyjo 07-28-2011 03:45 PM

those who had their lawns in the flood in Minot and surrpounding area had all their shrubs, perennials, and lawns die. Lady I talked to thought her evergreens might come back. She wan't sure. They had been in water up to 11 feet.

QuiltingMom80 07-28-2011 03:46 PM

Most of the people here in Syracuse area have brown lawns including me. We have had no rain for a long time. Most of us do not have sprinkler systems because we never get this dry around here. It has been overcast all day today...hoping for lots of rain tonight!!!!!!!

MawMaw B 07-28-2011 03:47 PM

We haven't had rain in 2 months (enough to matter) so brown it is. My husband is watering a few vegetable plants we have that are producing, but not a whole lot more. We're in Central Texas where we just finished day #44 of triple digit days. A lot of cities have gone to mandatory watering schedules and conservation. We are OK now, but are hoping and praying that this tropical disturbance will give us a little relief.

Montana Quilter 07-28-2011 03:47 PM

Where I live in Montana the soil is rocky and porous. You can water all you want but the water filters through the grass so fast. By the end of July after it has been really hot it is almost a lost cause to water-you are watering burnt lawn. People that have underground sprinklers and ChemLawn come all summer fare a little better.

Connie in CO 07-28-2011 03:47 PM

We can't use water for outside.B-U-T nobody will see at night but the bears.