Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you have a brown lawn?

I read someone's post the other day about having a brown lawn. Is that typical where you live?

The reason I ask is that I'm in Idaho where we use irrigation water from the ditch for our sprinkler system and run the sprinklers four days a week. Even in drought years we've still had water in the ditch - the season might be shortened, but we still can run it all summer.

Is it brown because you have to conserve water, or because it hasn't rained, or because you only have city/well water, or?

The concept of a brown yard seems foreign to me. Just wondering...

Blog Entries
    It's a lovely, dry light blender shade of brown

When there is a drought or water shortage, there are severe restrictions on how/when we can water our lawns. My lawn looks horrible b/c we have had two very hot summers in a row. It is full of brown grass and weeds.

Quote Originally Posted by hopetoquilt
    When there is a drought or water shortage, there are severe restrictions on how/when we can water our lawns. My lawn looks horrible b/c we have had two very hot summers in a row. It is full of brown grass and weeds.
    Can you still water your gardens?

Blog Entries
    It can be a water shortage due to drought conditions, high price of city water, or it is so hot it is almost impossible to water it enough :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    those who had their lawns in the flood in Minot and surrpounding area had all their shrubs, perennials, and lawns die. Lady I talked to thought her evergreens might come back. She wan't sure. They had been in water up to 11 feet.

Most of the people here in Syracuse area have brown lawns including me. We have had no rain for a long time. Most of us do not have sprinkler systems because we never get this dry around here. It has been overcast all day today...hoping for lots of rain tonight!!!!!!!

We haven't had rain in 2 months (enough to matter) so brown it is. My husband is watering a few vegetable plants we have that are producing, but not a whole lot more. We're in Central Texas where we just finished day #44 of triple digit days. A lot of cities have gone to mandatory watering schedules and conservation. We are OK now, but are hoping and praying that this tropical disturbance will give us a little relief.

Where I live in Montana the soil is rocky and porous. You can water all you want but the water filters through the grass so fast. By the end of July after it has been really hot it is almost a lost cause to water-you are watering burnt lawn. People that have underground sprinklers and ChemLawn come all summer fare a little better.

Blog Entries
    We can't use water for outside.B-U-T nobody will see at night but the bears.

Mine is green only because we run the sprinkler on a regular basis for the lawn and the flower beds. We're on un-metered city well water and they've not imposed any water restrictions (yet). There has been a LOT of rain lately 20-30 miles north of me, but we went 4 weeks without, and had only 2 rain showers this week. Up north, they're flooded. Of course down by me is all the corn and the soy that are looking pretty sad.

Blog Entries
    Our lawn is brown because of no rain and it cost way too much to water. When the rains come again, and they will, it will be green.

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    All our neighbors have brown lawns but ours is lush green cause we have a well and irrigation system :) I love green :)

Mine is a nice shade of khaki some green in spots.

I am just not willing to spend the time or money watering a lawn.

That said, my husband puts the sprinklers out once a week. As long as he does that, we will have a lawn next spring.

Sigh.

Mine is starting to turn green again. Finally some rain ... and boy did we get alot of it! We set records in just one day of rain.
    Water is getting pretty pricey to just use on the lawn. If you add up the water and the sewer and the other charges, its.035 per gallon... so running an open hose the meter really starts to add up the charges.

More of a tan. We have almost 4 acres and I definitely don't want to water all that. Very dry here and with the rates of city water...no way. Mowing the grass takes away from my quilting time. I say let it die. Not the flowers and shrubs of course.

It is Satan's own weather here this summer. Going into week 5 of above 100 degrees. We have a sprinkler, but use it sparingly. Water is expensive. Our front lawn, where there is a bit of shade, is greenish. The back is like straw right now.

When your water bill (including sewer and trash) is around $85 a month without watering...and it hasn't rained enough to speak of in months, you just don't worry about the yard. Of course 10 drops of rain will make the weeds grow, just not the grass! LOL!

Blog Entries
    We have had 47 days of over 100 degree weather and all our lakes are almost dry along with no rain. We don't have ditches, and when it does rain, it flows in the streets. We do water twice weekly, mainly for the foundation, but our grass looks pretty sad and our water bill runs over $200.

We haven't had any rain other than a sprinkle here and a tinkle there. The only way it will green up is with some green spray paint.

Mine has never been so brown,had to call my yard man today and tell him there is nothing to cut tomorrow.

Our lawn looks good for late July. We have had enough rain and it helps to live in a wooded area, except the garden, where we water if needed. Lawn care is so expensive and if it dies, it costs a lot to replace! I feel very bad for all you quilting friends in the south and west.

Brown grass. Only thing growing is the buckhorn. We need rain and cooler temps.

Mine's a light brown sand...Arizona

I have a well so I can water as much as I want.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast