Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you used Liberty of London Tana Lawn in your quilt projects? >

Have you used Liberty of London Tana Lawn in your quilt projects?

Have you used Liberty of London Tana Lawn in your quilt projects?

Old 01-19-2014, 07:17 AM

Default Have you used Liberty of London Tana Lawn in your quilt projects?

I purchase a few scrap packs of Liberty of London Tana Lawn and I don't know what to do with them. They are gorgeous, almost silk-like, and now I understand why this fabric is $35 a yard. But this fabric seems too delicate to blend with regular quilting cottons. In another post on this board someone wrote the the fabric frayed quickly in the quilt, if I remember right. I have also read a lot of blogs and sewers/crafters seem to be happy with this fabric and blend it with Kona, Moda and linens. purlbee.com has some cute projects, I might get the turtle kit if it comes back in stock.

So, I would like to know if anyone here has completed a project with the Liberty of London Tana Lawn fabric and other quilting cottons and did it hold up well?

Thanks for sharing, Maribeth
Old 01-19-2014, 07:20 AM
Power Poster

It is pretty. I have a bit sent to me by a friend in England but haven't used it yet. Since she quilts, I would assume it would be fine to mix with other cottons.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:36 AM

I forgot to add the etsy shop, Queenbeefabrics, she was so helpful w/my questions and shipped the same day as my order. This is one of the packs: http://www.etsy.com/listing/17150804..._home_active_8

I also learned that Liberty of London also makes a craft line of fabric for quilting, but so many have blogged about using the Tana Lawn that I wanted to see if anyone on here has had success with it.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:44 AM
Power Poster

Connecting threads came out with a group of patterns in lawn a couple of years ago. They sold yardage & kits for summer weight quilts. If you want to mix them with regular weight cottons, you could use a featherweight iron on interfacing to give them added body.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:51 AM

I noticed in the Etsy listing the seller states it is perfect for heirloom quilting. To me, heirloom quilts are made more for show than for everyday use. If you wanted to use them in a quilt that will get used frequently I would definately reinforce it with a light weight fusible interfacing. I love the prints and have always drooled over the Liberty Lawn fabrics.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:50 AM

Tana lawn fabric is more commonly used for clothing, it drapes beautifully in skirts and dresses. Haven't been in Liberty for a while, but they also used to make, headscarves, spectacle cases and little animals out of their Tana Lawn. I have some and have made phone cases and make up purses with it, I think it would be too light and soft for quilting, unless you were making a wall hanging that didn't get a lot of use.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:02 AM

It is on my bucket list to make a christening quilt out of pale solids pastels in lawn. My thought was to do 4" squares, high-loft batting to bring out the squares, each with some delicate hand embroidery.
Love to see what you do with yours!
Old 01-19-2014, 06:10 PM

I made my GGD's christening gown and bonnet using lawn. It turned out beautiful.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:27 PM

Thanks for the advice. I will try a few of the small crafts on the liberty website.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:24 AM

Default Tana Lawn Quilts

Hi,
I have used Liberty's Tana lawn exclusively in two completed quilts. One was hand quilted, one machine quilted with a long arm. The machine quilted quilt is our TV room quilt and has been used quite heavily by my husband, Labrador, and Boston Terrier for the past 5 years. It goes in the machine about once a month and I hang it to dry. It still looks perfect, no sign of wear.
The tight weave keeps it from being damaged by doggie claws.

The hand quilted, hand pieced Wedding Ring is more delicate, I guess, and is in a guest room. It is a double wedding ring quilt and I did make the mistake of using Tana lawn white as the background so some of the seams show when held up to the light. I also made the mistake of using lawn on front and back which makes for difficult hand quilting. It has been washed several times. My next hand quilted lawn quilt is a lovely Dresdan Plate and I used a Kaffe fabric on the back to help with the hand quilting. I've made two other scrap quilts ready to be machine quilted and am machine piecing a Burgoyne Surrounded using a Moda Bella Solid for my white background to help hide seams and for ease of hand quilting.

Hope this helps,
Kathryn