Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Liberty Tana Lawn >

Liberty Tana Lawn

Liberty Tana Lawn

Old 01-02-2019, 03:16 AM

Default Liberty Tana Lawn

For the first time, I’ve put together a small quilt made from Liberty Tana Lawn.
it wasn’t without its challenges, though...

Now the quilting.

i don’t have enough left for practicing, though.
Apart from stitching in the ditch, which would obviously be the safe option, has anyone successfully quilted more ambitiously with it.

Id love to do something quite sweeping, but I don’t want to ruin it.

Help!
Old 01-02-2019, 04:53 AM
Power Poster

from wwhat I googled, Liberty Tana Lawn is a fabric line. I'm not familiar with it. What about it made it 'challenging'?
Old 01-02-2019, 02:29 PM
Power Poster

Welcome to this board.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:39 PM

Cotton lawn fabric is somewhat different than ordinary quilting fabric as I remember. I think I made a blouse out of it back in the day. Isn't it very finely woven and lightweight almost to the point of being sheer?
Old 01-02-2019, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
Cotton lawn fabric is somewhat different than ordinary quilting fabric as I remember. Isn't it very finely woven and lightweight almost to the point of being sheer?
Yes. I don't know that I would make a quilt out of it unless it was foundation pieced. Cotton lawn is lovely and lightweight, perfect for summer blouses. You can barely tell you're wearing anything!
Old 01-03-2019, 03:49 AM

Am I correct that a lot of baby dresses were made of lawn, as well? (Do babies still wear dresses, other than those for baptism?) I'm thinking it is a very fine, soft fabric that draped well and was "baby-like". Didn't know it was still around. As to quilting, I think I would not overdo it as it may not hold up well to being punctured many times. Stitching may "tear" this fine fabric. Perhaps let the "show" of the quilt be in the fine texture of the fabric rather than the quilting itself.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:59 AM

Welcome to the Quilting Board.

I love Liberty fabrics. So pretty and so expensive. I don't have any quilting suggestions for you but I would love to see a picture of your project.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:44 AM
anonymous

There is almost a cult following of Liberty tana lawn fabrics. They are so soft and lovely. A very fine weave that requires a small needle. The fabric is strong though, so don't be afraid to use it. Here is one blog that talks about quilting with Liberty fabrics. https://www.thestrawberrythief.com.a...-liberty-lawn/ Read the comments too. There are quilt shops that have a liberty club where you can sign up for monthly bundles. Ex: https://www.westwoodacresfabric.com/...the-month-club Sometimes I find that fabric.com will have some of theirs on clearance and then I scoop one up.
If you ever visit London don't miss visiting the famous Liberty dept store. So worth it, if only to window shop. https://www.libertylondon.com/

Old 01-05-2019, 01:14 PM

I haven't tried it yet, but here are some tips (if it's not too late):
https://weallsew.com/tips-quilting-cotton-lawn/

Last edited by mindless; 01-05-2019 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:09 AM

Tana Lawn is one of Liberty's most well known and loved fabrics, with the name originating from Lake Tanain East Africa, where the original cotton grew. This classic print is made from ultra-fine long staple cotton and without the use of crease-resisting chemicals or irritating allergens. I’ve made a couple of quilts in Liberty Tana Lawn and it’s a beautiful soft tactile fabric.