Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Do you use a table topper? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/do-you-use-table-topper-t70606.html)

noveltyjunkie 10-16-2010 11:23 PM

I have seen some lovely work on table toppers here, but if someone gave one to me, I would not know what to do with it. Do you put it on the dining table when it is not set for a meal? (Nothing extra would fit on my table when it is in use for eating at.)
Or maybe they are not for dining tables?
So, explain to me, please!!!

Sadiemae 10-17-2010 12:06 AM

I made a couple for my sister and she has them hanging on stands instead of on the table. Looks nice!
My table is always covered with sewing stuff.

lalaland 10-17-2010 12:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by noveltyjunkie
I have seen some lovely work on table toppers here, but if someone gave one to me, I would not know what to do with it. Do you put it on the dining table when it is not set for a meal? (Nothing extra would fit on my table when it is in use for eating at.)
Or maybe they are not for dining tables?
So, explain to me, please!!!

I've made, and sold, a kagillion table toppers. I do them in a holiday theme and make them reversible. The people who buy them display them on tables during the holidays, and often put holiday decorations on top of them for display as well.

I've done special orders for holidays when people want a specific theme like exclusively fabric with spiders on it for Halloween or the like. I did a special order for a wedding this summer that had a tiger (yes, tiger) theme and they wanted them for the bride/groom reception table.

Wedding Table Topper The gold you see around the center is metallic hearts
[ATTACH=CONFIG]108247[/ATTACH]

Lacelady 10-17-2010 01:07 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I have one that covers the whole table, and lives there permanently except when I pull out the extra leaves at Christmas. It protects my table surface from knocks and scrapes.

I made it as a practice piece to try this embroidery/quilting technique. Developed as Threadply by Libby Lehman (see her book, of the same name)

Part of the back
[ATTACH=CONFIG]108398[/ATTACH]

quilter on the eastern edge 10-17-2010 03:54 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I use a table topper most of the time. I like the look of them on my dining room table. Sometimes it is just the topper and sometimes there is a vase of flowers on the topper. Here sre some pics of some of the toppers I have done.

A topper that I made for my cousin
[ATTACH=CONFIG]108787[/ATTACH]

My autumn table topper
[ATTACH=CONFIG]108788[/ATTACH]

Scalloped-edge table topper
[ATTACH=CONFIG]108789[/ATTACH]

Nancy S. 10-17-2010 04:25 AM

I use table runners on my end tables in my livingroom or in my bedrooms they never seem to be able to be seen on my kitchen table. Always something on it.

knlsmith 10-17-2010 04:30 AM

lol. My table topper is bills, keys, purses, fabric, and usually a bag of tootsie rolls or some other snack.

pocoellie 10-17-2010 04:35 AM

I think the table toppers and runners are beautiful, but my table must be the sister/brother of knlsmith. LOL I would like to try some, mainly to get more practice at FM.

knlsmith 10-17-2010 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by pocoellie
I think the table toppers and runners are beautiful, but my table must be the sister/brother of knlsmith. LOL I would like to try some, mainly to get more practice at FM.

So do you remember what color yours is? I think mine is light oak colored! LOL

pocoellie 10-17-2010 05:17 AM

I think it's maple. LOL