Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Downton Abbey / Upstairs Downstairs (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/downton-abbey-upstairs-downstairs-t211039.html)

Gayle8675309 01-15-2013 09:54 AM

Downton Abbey / Upstairs Downstairs

My husband and I have been watching Downton Abbey. So far we've watched all of Season 1 & 2. Now we only have two episodes left (starting Season 3) to watch before we're caught up.

We are really enjoying this series, and I was wondering, is the series Upstairs Downstairs somewhat like Downton Abbey? Have any of you watched Upstairs Downstairs? Did you enjoy it?

Thanks.

Gayle

LynnVT 01-15-2013 10:05 AM

Upstairs Downstairs has many similarities to Downton. It originally ran from 1971-1975 and was a blockbuster for its time. The story ran from 1903-1930. There was a new series by that name in 2010 where someone went back to the old house. I've seen them all but am just fascinated by Downton Abbey. I watch each episode 2 or 3 times in reruns and just cackle at some of the clever lines. I think I could memorize many scenes, and I have a lousy memory these days. Maggie Smith's character is my favorite, but I love following them all. I think the Upstairs serieses (both of them) are enjoyable in a different way, but worth watching too. Julian Fellows, who writes Downton also wrote Gosford Park which is my hubby's favorite movie. Similar idea, really. It's what I prefer to the "reality" shows that are often so vulgar and vacuous. Ok, stupid. The layers of class, the clothes, the house, the people. Ok, enough from me!

nativetexan 01-15-2013 11:47 AM

I just happened upon Upstairs, Downstairs last night. only the last 15 minutes of it though!

QuiltnNan 01-15-2013 01:00 PM

i never caught the U/D series when it first ran. A few months ago, I watched the entire series on Netflix and could not stop watching. The only thing I didn't like was the son... just not my kind of guy. however, it does not even compare with Downton Abbey in my humble opinion. The characters are all wonderful. I wasn't entirely thrilled with Shirley McClain's part... I really expected more from her. I feel so badly for Edyth :(

Diannia 01-15-2013 04:11 PM

I just got hooked on Downton Abbey and so did the hubby...hehe. I agree with you Nancy...poor Edyth. I wonder if she'll go to America w/her gram...

Diannia

LynnVT 01-15-2013 04:26 PM

Oh, I think they will find Edith a really good job to do. Shirley's character was definitely not up to the Crawley standards, but she was fun. Happily her visit didn't last very long.

0tis 01-15-2013 04:29 PM

I predict that she will go to America too - poor thing - I am hooked on this series - and I love that each episode is about 1 1/2 hr each.

jeanneb52 01-16-2013 04:19 AM

The original Upstairs downstairs is the gold standard for Masterpiece theater. I watched it back in the day and then got the VHS tapes when they came out. I have sat with them for hours. Downton Abbey is wonderful but will never eclipse U/D.

Geri B 01-16-2013 05:04 AM

In this last eopisode did you see those hand-cranked sewing machines being used by the "reformed" women??? So cool...

Stitchnripper 01-16-2013 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B (Post 5789781)
In this last eopisode did you see those hand-cranked sewing machines being used by the "reformed" women??? So cool...

I love Downton Abbey and yes really enjoyed those sewing machines!!