Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   dry clean or home wash a comforter... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/dry-clean-home-wash-comforter-t141728.html)

Sandynorm 07-31-2011 05:41 PM

my boyfriend is always cold, and thinks that you have to have a comforter to be warm. I was brought up with quilts. I was redoing the bedroom in a beach theme and he thought it would be nice to "Buy" a comforter, but to compromise, he got the seashells since I was doing a blue and white beach theme. This comforter is dry clean only, it is a heavy weight cottom cover, not down, not velour or rayon... I am thinking of putting it in my oversize front loader wahsing machine??? I do not want to ruin it, but I do not like dry cleaning AND all the chemicals that they use. Would any of you put it in the washer????

Boopers 07-31-2011 05:53 PM

NO! DC only. Talk to your dry cleaner and tell them that you don't want chemicals used. They may have a more natural method to clean it. I tried to machine wash a dc only bed cover and it came out in shreds.

sueisallaboutquilts 07-31-2011 06:19 PM

What is the inside made out of, do you know??
I wash just about everything.

sewwhat85 07-31-2011 06:30 PM

why not take a peek inside. rip a seam open and look???

Greenheron 07-31-2011 06:37 PM

Whatever cleaning method you use, when it is clean make a removable cover for it (like a giant envelope with ties or buttons on the end. You could even piece one side of the cover. With care only the cover will be soiled and easily washed. My mother had a satin comforter for over 50 years and the removable cover kept it clean and unworn.

Ramona Byrd 07-31-2011 06:43 PM

After dry cleaning, hang it outside or under cover so the wind and fresh air can remove any lingering dry cleaning smells. This should be done with everything that is dry cleaned.

Then do as these clever forum writers have suggested and make a cover for it. You could sew or tack the 4 corners so it will always be in line, and easy to remove for cleaning. And I'll bet that after some time, maybe years, your tastes will change and this way you can make new covers to match any new bedrooms.

JulieR 07-31-2011 07:09 PM

I usually throw everything in the wash, too, but instead of either washing it or DC you might just spot-clean any stains and lay it out on the lawn in the sunshine. Sunlight kills all kinds of bad things, including any odors.

BrendaY 07-31-2011 07:52 PM

Well... I would wash it... if it falls apart, then use a nice quilt that you made already..

sewmuchmore 08-01-2011 04:07 AM

I have wash many things that say DC only, If you decide to use cold water and woolite. Line dry. I hate how much they charge to DC and the smell.

romanojg 08-01-2011 05:03 AM

If you wash it it will be lumpy. My daughter did that to mine and she even took it out so that the machine was large enough to hold it. A 150 comforter in the trash; can't fix the lumps