Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   DVD came in mail, do I have to pay for this???? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/dvd-came-mail-do-i-have-pay-t206071.html)

jj1150 11-15-2012 09:31 AM

DVD came in mail, do I have to pay for this????

Grrrrrr!!! About a month ago, I received an UNORDERED quilting DVD from Fons and Porter. I did open it, and briefly looked at it, and really thought it some kind of promotional offer.

And so yesterday, I received a billing in the mail for something like $13!!!! Yikes, am I obligated to pay for something I DID NOT order???? And the bad thing is, I'm not really sure just where it's at :(

i have always been under the assumption that you do NOT have to pay for items sent to you, that you did NOT order!!!

does anyone know if this is true or not???

jody

AlienQuilter 11-15-2012 09:33 AM

Call them and talk to a person. Tell them you did not order it and ask them why they sent it. There should be a toll free number to call. Tell them that you are upset.

Lori S 11-15-2012 09:34 AM

If you did not order the item, you are under no obligation to pay for it or even return it. I got one of those a way back .. and its one of the reasons I stopped my subscription to Fons and Porter.. its just an unethical business practice.

corklass44 11-15-2012 09:40 AM

I don't believe you are required to pay for anything you didn't order. Are you sure the "bill" didn't include a subscription for something? And the DVD was the "Free" part? I frequently get subscription renewal enticements but my daughter always renews for me as part of my Mother's Day gift. I just toss them.

susansomethings 11-15-2012 09:48 AM

I would call too and tell them you will not pay for or send it back...as you did NOt ask for it. I really don't believe you are required to pay for it!

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 11-15-2012 09:49 AM

If they can not produce anything thing showing you ordered it, it's their loss. So many magazines seem to do this semi-shady stuff.

jj1150 11-15-2012 09:59 AM

Thanks all!!!

I do have ONE quilting magazine subscription, and it probably is one by F&P, but that was ordered and paid for last spring. I think I will just mail the envelope back to them, telling them I did NOT order this DVD, and therefore are under no obligation to pay for OR return it.

Jody

Jim's Gem 11-15-2012 11:05 AM

I got one of those. Got several billings for it as well. Never ordered it, lost the DVD (until I found it last week) never sent it back and I ignore the billing. If they send it to me without my approval, it's their loss. I have not looked at it, probably never will. They did send out at least 3 bills for it.

nativetexan 11-15-2012 03:30 PM

nope. don't pay. you can say you sent it back or did not get it. they started doing that and it really turned me off.

Learner747 11-15-2012 03:39 PM

As a retired postal worker I can officially say that the law says if it is unsolicited merchandise you can do any number of things with it. Do Not Pay for it!

You may keep it, throw it away, return to sender, etc. If you will go to the Postal Service's pages and look for "Unsolicited Merchandise." Print the page, put it in their envelope, and mail it to the company.

BTW, it is illegal for them to send a bill to you.

I have given this advice to dozens of people. I just followed it myself last week.:thumbup: