Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   fur collar (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/fur-collar-t148945.html)

TanyaL 08-30-2011 02:50 AM

My 9 yr old DGD has a brown knit shrug with a fake fur collar. She wore it last year and it still fits this year. She loves it; however, now the fake collar looks like something I wouldn't even use to scrub the floor. I bought a brown rabbit skin fur coat on ebay. I know rabbit is the most fragile of all hides and this is a used coat, so I am expecting some split skins when I take the coat apart to make her a new collar. I thought I would re-enforce the pelts with duct tape. The tape won't show since there is a satin lining. The collar is detachable so the shrug can be washed and the collar not washed. When the shrug is outgrown the whole thing will probably be thrown away. Does anyone foresee a problem with my using duct tape to re-enforce the pelts? Also I thought I'd just make her a vest out of the rest of the coat - thought at 9 it would seem kind of special. Actually, it was ALL I could think of to do with the rest of the coat. LOL Suggestions are really welcome.

pooky 08-30-2011 03:07 AM

I used to make teddy bears from old fur coats & used an iron on cotton interfacing to back the fur .I got it at Joann's.
I think you might have a problem sewing through the duct tape , your needle will gum up
SAndra

emerald46 08-30-2011 03:46 AM

How about using some kind of fake ultrasuede. My daughter had a rabbitt vest years ago and the skins were backed with ultrasuede. Now that I think about it, I think the vest was reversible.

ssgramma 08-30-2011 03:54 AM

Rabbit SHEDS - BADLY! I used to have a rabbit jacket and I hated how much it shed. So I got a fox with coyote accents. I no longer wear real fur and would also suggest faux :-)

Tink's Mom 08-30-2011 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by pooky
I used to make teddy bears from old fur coats & used an iron on cotton interfacing to back the fur .I got it at Joann's.
I think you might have a problem sewing through the duct tape , your needle will gum up
SAndra

You will have a major problem with gummy needle...also, try using a leather needle for sewing the fur...the leather needle will make a small slit in the leather hide instead of a hole .

TanyaL 08-30-2011 05:14 AM

OK, thanks for the advice. I hadn't considered the glue aspect. And I will definitely use a leather needle. I do know rabbit sheds as badly as a pet cat or dog does which is why it is going to a 9 yr old not me. Between her cat and her guinna pig she won't know whose hair needs brushing off of her jeans. LOL.

Alwayslearning, no animal was killed for this effort; it's a used coat, not a new one.

sewn3w 08-30-2011 08:21 AM

Check fabric stores for a glue that will be marked for leather and cloth use. Rabbit can be a mite dicy to work with but not impossible. Another suggestion is check out "how to" books at your local library. I have picked up some good suggestions on handling different hides from some publications.

patricej 08-30-2011 11:04 AM

This is a request for tips about repurposing a used coat that is made of fur.

It is not an invitation to start a debate over whether or not to use fur.

please ... everyone ... regardless of your position ... keep those thoughts to yourself.