fur collar

Old 08-30-2011, 02:50 AM

My 9 yr old DGD has a brown knit shrug with a fake fur collar. She wore it last year and it still fits this year. She loves it; however, now the fake collar looks like something I wouldn't even use to scrub the floor. I bought a brown rabbit skin fur coat on ebay. I know rabbit is the most fragile of all hides and this is a used coat, so I am expecting some split skins when I take the coat apart to make her a new collar. I thought I would re-enforce the pelts with duct tape. The tape won't show since there is a satin lining. The collar is detachable so the shrug can be washed and the collar not washed. When the shrug is outgrown the whole thing will probably be thrown away. Does anyone foresee a problem with my using duct tape to re-enforce the pelts? Also I thought I'd just make her a vest out of the rest of the coat - thought at 9 it would seem kind of special. Actually, it was ALL I could think of to do with the rest of the coat. LOL Suggestions are really welcome.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:07 AM

I used to make teddy bears from old fur coats & used an iron on cotton interfacing to back the fur .I got it at Joann's.
I think you might have a problem sewing through the duct tape , your needle will gum up
SAndra
Old 08-30-2011, 03:46 AM

How about using some kind of fake ultrasuede. My daughter had a rabbitt vest years ago and the skins were backed with ultrasuede. Now that I think about it, I think the vest was reversible.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:54 AM

Rabbit SHEDS - BADLY! I used to have a rabbit jacket and I hated how much it shed. So I got a fox with coyote accents. I no longer wear real fur and would also suggest faux :-)
Old 08-30-2011, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by pooky
I used to make teddy bears from old fur coats & used an iron on cotton interfacing to back the fur .I got it at Joann's.
I think you might have a problem sewing through the duct tape , your needle will gum up
SAndra
You will have a major problem with gummy needle...also, try using a leather needle for sewing the fur...the leather needle will make a small slit in the leather hide instead of a hole .
Old 08-30-2011, 05:14 AM

OK, thanks for the advice. I hadn't considered the glue aspect. And I will definitely use a leather needle. I do know rabbit sheds as badly as a pet cat or dog does which is why it is going to a 9 yr old not me. Between her cat and her guinna pig she won't know whose hair needs brushing off of her jeans. LOL.

Alwayslearning, no animal was killed for this effort; it's a used coat, not a new one.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:21 AM

Check fabric stores for a glue that will be marked for leather and cloth use. Rabbit can be a mite dicy to work with but not impossible. Another suggestion is check out "how to" books at your local library. I have picked up some good suggestions on handling different hides from some publications.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:04 AM
Administrator

This is a request for tips about repurposing a used coat that is made of fur.

It is not an invitation to start a debate over whether or not to use fur.

please ... everyone ... regardless of your position ... keep those thoughts to yourself.