Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Gifts versus 'Gift' Exchanges (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/gifts-versus-gift-exchanges-t208061.html)

Crqltr 12-11-2012 11:48 AM

I don't get into exchanges any more either...the biggest reason would be that at my age I need to start getting rid of stuff, I really don't need more Knicks knacks ect,

Dragonomine 12-11-2012 11:54 AM

I prefer not to exchange gifts with friends. Let's go out to lunch and have fun! Nothing much I can do about my family though. Gotta give our parents and siblings gifts.

One thing I do like though, my husband's family has a BIG get together on Christmas Eve and we have a Left Right pass it game. We're only supposed to spend $10 or less on a gift and sometimes we get some really great gag gifts! Last year we got stick on mustaches and a disco ball! Now something like that is really fun.

butterflies5518 12-11-2012 05:51 PM

I am doing the secret santa & cookie exchange in our department this year - both mandatory. Good thing I pulled my bosses name - easy to buy for. Last year was my team mate's and by day 3 she figured it out. I will enjoy it and eat all my cookies! I did do a white elephant exchange with a neighboring department - now that was fun - I made a quilted ornament!

judyrael 12-11-2012 06:00 PM

How many of you do Gift Exchanges with your grandchildren? We always do it, but this last year 2 of them got married, so we are now doing it with their spouses also. With 7 grandkids and now 2 spouses, I'm beginning to think it is too much, also it seems that one or another some years forget to send even a card back, but always say a Thank you.

nstitches4u 12-11-2012 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts (Post 5710978)
Once again you and I are in agreement, Bearisgray. A gift is GIVEN. If it is expected, or you are TOLD who to buy for, and how much to spend, it is not a gift.

If I give you a $50 gift card and you give me a $50 gift card, to me that is an exchange. And totally nonsensical.

I agree. We used to draw names for our family gift exchange. One year I got my oldest brother's name and he got mine. I bought him the video "Titanic" and he got me --- the video "Titanic". lol That was the last year we exchanged gifts. Now we just get together and have dinner and play cards and games. We don't need gifts to have fun.

quiltingme 12-11-2012 08:14 PM

I agree that you should only buy gifts if you want to. Nothing should be mandatory. My family stopped getting together & trying to exchange gifts years ago when we grew so large in numbers that it was just nearly impossible to even give just a token gift.

katykwilt 12-13-2012 02:15 PM

We did the white elephant exchange at work this year. Anyone who wanted to participate did, those that didn't simply didn't bring a gift. If you brought one you received a number and it's duplicate was put the drawing dish. It was the last item on the day's agenda. If it was your choice, you could leave. However, almost everyone stayed to watch. It was quite hilarious. Our instructions were a usable item, cost should be less that $5, a regift is fine and no trash. Because we all have a wicked sense of humor, it was pure entertainment. I'd join the fun again.

KarenR 12-13-2012 02:39 PM

I'm doing secret santa this year. Sad that who I'm giving gifts to has commented on the fact that she is not getting what she listed on the sheet of paper.

Oh well.

The final day- I will tell her why she received the little gifts 1-3. Gift 4 is the finally.
It makes me wish that I did not do it this year.

Tropical 12-15-2012 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Crqltr (Post 5713524)
I don't get into exchanges any more either...the biggest reason would be that at my age I need to start getting rid of stuff, I really don't need more Knicks knacks ect,

We don't exchange gifts anymore for various reasons. Yet we have cintinued to buy my DM ( the only parent we have left between us) a Christmas gift. For a couple of years now she has respectfully asked us not to buy her anything because she feels at age 89 she is ready to get rid of things and needs nothing more to worry about finding a place for in her home. We still kept buying something for her because it didn't seem right not to do it and it made us feel happy to do it. This year, I told my husband that I am going to do what she sincerely wants. She wants nothing for a gift. I am not giving her anything except a very nice card. It feels strange to me and I told her that. She again told me she wants and needs nothing more to have to find a place for in her home. With six children and more grand, great grand and great great grand children than she can count giving her gifts; she has no room left. :):):)