Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   help with Mice (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/help-mice-t200502.html)

sassey 09-14-2012 09:17 PM

help with Mice

i hope someone can help me as I am being terrified by mice I have 4 electronice devises pluged in they are sapose to drive away mice but they aren't doing the job. I also have 3 of those traps that they go inside and get trapped inside I have 7 sticky traps out and 3 regular mouse traps, But the mouse or mice are too smart to get caught I baited my traps with peanutbutter. The mouse just makes it self at home, yesterday I saw him twice eating my dogs food. He ran under the chair I was setting in and of course scurries back and forth often. I can not put out poision as I am afraid the cats that live upstairs might catch a mouse that had ingested poision and get sick or die. I have also put out soda as I heard they can't burp or pass gas so they die. I have sprinkled peppermint oil all over the house I am out of ideas can anyone help me this has been going on for 3 months.

Prism99 09-14-2012 10:40 PM

I found this:
http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Mice-Naturally

but I'm quite sure you will not get rid of the mice until you find and close off the ways they are getting into your place. Are you renting? This would be the owner's responsibility. A business such as Terminix can do an inspection to find out where the mice are getting in and plug up those entries.

carolaug 09-15-2012 12:26 AM

One word...CAT... ; )

topstitch 09-15-2012 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by carolaug (Post 5515353)
One word...CAT... ; )

I agree, Can the dogs live with a cat?

pdcakm 09-15-2012 12:34 AM

not so sure about cat. unfortunately some cats are not mousers. i used to have three cats and still had mice. i think the cats thought they were toys. my dog was a better mouser.

as someone said, find out where they are getting in. also, make sure the trap is set in the path they are using. they don't seem to deviate from those paths much. especially along walls.

good luck.

Mary O 09-15-2012 01:50 AM

This is what I do to keep mice out of my storage shed.Fill a 5gal bucket 1/2 way with water and smear peanut butter just couple inches below the inside rim.They will fall in trying to get to PB and drown.

unicorn53 09-15-2012 03:17 AM

My Mom had a german shepherd that caught mice - I think better than a cat! One paw and the mouse was done for, ha! :)

feline fanatic 09-15-2012 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Mary O (Post 5515393)
This is what I do to keep mice out of my storage shed.Fill a 5gal bucket 1/2 way with water and smear peanut butter just couple inches below the inside rim.They will fall in trying to get to PB and drown.

This trap is just about foolproof. Here in NY we call it an adirondack mousetrap. I googled it and found it referred ti as "white trash mousetrap", "bucket ' o death" (I have to say I like that name LOL) and redneck mousetrap.

My friend who has a cabin in the adirondacks swears by it. Me, I have cats but I close off my sewing rooms to them. So in those rooms I have poison. (when you live out in the country in a 100 year old house you are bound to get the occasional critter.) Poisoned animals usually try to find a dark quiet place to die. I have never worried about my cats catching a poisoned mouse. The only drawback is I did have one die where I couldn't find it but I sure could smell it. YUCK. By the time I found the mummified remains it didn't stink any more.

alwayslearning 09-15-2012 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Mary O (Post 5515393)

That sounds like a solution!

Kitsie 09-15-2012 08:39 AM

I can't get my cat or dog up in the ceiling! Did poke a small hole through the ceiling one time and put a rat bait up there. Really worked!! Afraid that was years ago and its time for another.