Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Help name the kids club please! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/help-name-kids-club-please-t117437.html)

okiepastor 04-19-2011 06:59 PM

We need a really neat name for the quilting/sewing club cowgirlquilter is starting at her school so a blog can go up and add credibility to the effort.
So far, I have been successful in finding quite a bit of fabric and 3 sewing machines to send out there.
The only thing I have come up with so far is Kwilter Kids.
Put all those fertile brains to work and come up with something better.
(And don't forget to pm me if you have donations!)
Moderators, please don't beat me if you see what is in parentheses. :oops:
I am working hard to help get this off the ground. What better thing to teach than a skill they will use for their lifetime? AND it is one that takes so few supplies(in a pinch--- fabric, scissors, needle and thread--- like our forebears).

crafty_linda_b 04-19-2011 08:23 PM

You say it's being started by cowgirlquilter? Why not call them 'lil cowpokes or get-along quiters? That will cover gals or guys if you have a unisex class..crafty_linda_b

cctx. 04-19-2011 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by okiepastor
We need a really neat name for the quilting/sewing club cowgirlquilter is starting at her school so a blog can go up and add credibility to the effort.
So far, I have been successful in finding quite a bit of fabric and 3 sewing machines to send out there.
The only thing I have come up with so far is Kwilter Kids.
Put all those fertile brains to work and come up with something better.
(And don't forget to pm me if you have donations!)
Moderators, please don't beat me if you see what is in parentheses. :oops:
I am working hard to help get this off the ground. What better thing to teach than a skill they will use for their lifetime? AND it is one that takes so few supplies(in a pinch--- fabric, scissors, needle and thread--- like our forebears).

I like Kwilter Kids it sounds cute.

QuiltnCowgirl 04-19-2011 09:27 PM

The thing to remember/know about these kids is that a lot of them in this area are underprivileged, most parents work in ag - fieldworkers, packing house workers. These kids need incentive to stay in school, to believe in themselves, to believe they can become someone with a productive future. I'm not good at names, but I think some thing more on the inspiring side than the cutesy side would be good for these kids. A name that proudly identifies them & what hopefully will become "their" program.

okiepastor 04-20-2011 03:00 AM

I am familiar with their needs--that why I got on board to help----but all I could think of is cutesy!

so, what name do you think Crafty cowgirl?

sewTinker 04-20-2011 03:24 AM

Call it a Guild, instead of a club? "Guild," is grownup and important. Plus it will open up discussions with friends as to the word's meaning. Refer to the classes as "Meetings," even if they take place at school during class hours. Have membership cards, and select a mascot block ("schoolhouse" steps?). Each member colors a cut-out block which is then laminated, hole-punched, threaded with selvedge, and worn around the neck during meetings.

how about: the Special People Quilt Guild

sunflower126 04-20-2011 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by sewTinker
Call it a Guild, instead of a club? "Guild," is grownup and important. Plus it will open up discussions with friends as to the word's meaning. Refer to the classes as "Meetings," even if they take place at school during class hours. Have membership cards, and select a mascot block ("schoolhouse" steps?). Each member colors a cut-out block which is then laminated, hole-punched, threaded with selvedge, and worn around the neck during meetings.

how about: the Special People Quilt Guild

I think these all sound like great ideas. Certainly will make them feel grown up and important. Good luck on your project.

Deb watkins 04-20-2011 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by crafty_linda_b
You say it's being started by cowgirlquilter? Why not call them 'lil cowpokes or get-along quiters? That will cover gals or guys if you have a unisex class..crafty_linda_b

another twist on this. "Git-A -Long quilters"....

okiepastor 04-20-2011 05:06 AM

Thanks to all--keep those ideas coming, please!

psychonurse 04-20-2011 05:11 AM

Sew Into It