Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   How long do home canned vegetables last? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/how-long-do-home-canned-vegetables-last-t226172.html)

aronel 07-20-2013 09:02 AM

I agree with bearisgray. If they look good - no rust - smell okay - enjoy.!

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 6186949)
back to 2006 - I would probably use them if they looked and smelled okay - and the lids had no rust on them and the seal was still good.

Jean in Ohio13452 07-20-2013 09:31 AM

The only thing with Home Canned Veggies would be a loss of Taste and color fading.. If the Seal is sealed good and there are NO BUBBLES in the top of the Jar then they should still be good to eat... If when opening they smell sour or really off Colored then dump them and save the jar... My husbands grandmother used to can Corn, when opened they about shot the lid up in the air ---they were fermenting and Sour smelling YUCK...

ranger 07-20-2013 09:33 AM

My DGM used to can veggies and fruit and berries. No pressure cooker so she'd seal the top with melted paraffin. Sometimes when they were opened and the wax removed, there would be some mold on the top. She would just scrape it off and boil the contents. We survived but today I would never do that. If I see any sign of tainting I chuck it.

Prism99 07-20-2013 12:18 PM

2006. That's 7 years ago. Honestly, I would throw them out. A trip to the doctor or hospital isn't a risk I would want to take. But that's me.

donnaree59 07-20-2013 01:32 PM

I just went and looked at the jars again. They look fine, but there is some rust on the tops of some of the lids. I think I'm throwing them out. I would probably never can again if anyone got sick! I'll save the jars and hopefully I can get some this fall to can since I missed the ones this spring. Thanks for all your help

BCM 07-20-2013 02:03 PM

I suggest checking with your local county Home Extension Agency. They should have information and data to answer any questions.

cbpirate 07-20-2013 03:36 PM

if you didn't have trouble with yours, they should be ok. just a tip though, botulism problems are not detected by smell or tasting.... if the jars are ok and the seals are good they should be ok.

misspriss 07-20-2013 03:42 PM

This I found on info search; "They can be kept 5 years if in a cool dark place."

COYOTEMAGIC 07-20-2013 05:08 PM

Shoot, we are still using up the supplies my Gmom had in the basement a decade ago. As long as there isn't any funky stuff on the jars and they smell fine, eat them! If there is any black stuff growing on the outside, that tends to be Botulism and you should NOT open the jar. Wrap in it up and toss it in the trash so it can be buried in the landfill. If you live out in the boonies like me, you bury it in the ground some place safe.

cdmmiracles 07-20-2013 05:51 PM

hahaha I have the green bean story of the century......my renter found some canned green beans down in the basement (several jars), he ate them and then told me about finding them.......said they tasted like they were right out of the garden. I haven't canned since my son was 5 yrs old, he's getting ready to turn.......wait for it.......27yrs old in 10 days. That was last year and the renter is still living, lol.