Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Huge Mosquitos in Michigan, new to me (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/huge-mosquitos-michigan-new-me-t144506.html)

burnsk 08-11-2011 06:32 PM

We now have huge mosquitos in Michigan. They are called Gallinipper mosquitos. The insect has a half-inch long body and even longer legs - hairy ones with white bands. The mosquito easily covers a quarter. It’s aggressive when pursuing its blood meal, and it loves to bite during the day. It bites right through your clothing. Their bites are like a stab.

The gallinipper is native to Michigan. It doesn’t make an appearance every year. The recent cycle of heavy rains and dry spells made conditions ripe for a breakout of these huge mosquitos. The gallinipper’s larvae feed on the larvae of its smaller mosquito cousins. If there are lots of smaller mosquitoes buzzing around you will probably see the large versions flying around, too. I have lived in Michigan all my life and never seen a gallinipper before. Gallinipper eggs can sit for years, waiting for the right conditions to hatch. Once they’re out, adults live for two weeks to a month.

The gallinipper can be mistaken for the Asian tiger mosquito, which has been found in parts of Indiana and Illinois.

We had two in the house last night. They probably snuck in on someone's clothing. They are huge.

virtualbernie 08-11-2011 06:35 PM

I was going to say we have those here in Maryland only smaller but just as aggressive then I read further and thought, we must have the Asian ones :lol: Either way they are a pain in more ways than one!

auntpiggylpn 08-11-2011 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by burnsk
We now have huge mosquitos in Michigan. They are called Gallinipper mosquitos. The insect has a half-inch long body and even longer legs - hairy ones with white bands. The mosquito easily covers a quarter. It’s aggressive when pursuing its blood meal, and it loves to bite during the day. It bites right through your clothing. Their bites are like a stab.

The gallinipper is native to Michigan. It doesn’t make an appearance every year. The recent cycle of heavy rains and dry spells made conditions ripe for a breakout of these huge mosquitos. The gallinipper’s larvae feed on the larvae of its smaller mosquito cousins. If there are lots of smaller mosquitoes buzzing around you will probably see the large versions flying around, too. I have lived in Michigan all my life and never seen a gallinipper before. Gallinipper eggs can sit for years, waiting for the right conditions to hatch. Once they’re out, adults live for two weeks to a month.

The gallinipper can be mistaken for the Asian tiger mosquito, which has been found in parts of Indiana and Illinois.

We had two in the house last night. They probably snuck in on someone's clothing. They are huge.

I feel like that was the intro to a horror movie!!

pab58 08-11-2011 06:37 PM

Alright Kathy!!!! You can just keep those nasty sounding critters down there in Ann Arbor!!!! I don't want them in Redford!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: On occasion we get a cicada wasp. They scare the heck out of you when you first see one! :shock: When I first saw one, I thought it might be a small hummingbird!!! Nope!! I found out it was a cicada wasp!! Should I send you one -- or two -- or three????? :D :D

Kehoeta 08-11-2011 06:38 PM

Man - I hope I don't run into any of those suckers.

Painiacs 08-11-2011 06:42 PM

I thought it was a rogue mosquito that bit me thru my clothes!! I live in the UP we say it's the state bird!! Nasty buggers!! Lol. What is a cicada wasp? Yikes! Like a huge wasp?? Scary!!

buslady 08-11-2011 06:44 PM

Did anyone notice the ad at bottomof page? It is formosquito exterminator. Someone pointed out the relationship of thread content to the ads and now I cant help watching them. Lol any I have not seen them in our area yet, and hope not to.
Also, noticed many members from michigan, hi to u all.

auntpiggylpn 08-11-2011 06:47 PM

I was just up in Michigan this past weekend camping. Pentwater area. Got a couple of nasty bites!

pab58 08-11-2011 06:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here ya go! Cicada killer wasps really don't bother you unless you really make them angry. They will dig burrows in soft soil such as sand then capture a cicada, carry it back to the burrow where it will take it down in the hole. The wasp will lay an egg and the cicada becomes food for the larva.

Yes, they really are this big!!! They fly very low to the ground and will circle around their burrows unless they are digging soil out of the hole or taking a cicada down into it.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]240348[/ATTACH]

auntpiggylpn 08-11-2011 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by pab58
Here ya go! Cicada killer wasps really don't bother you unless you really make them angry. They will dig burrows in soft soil such as sand then capture a cicada, carry it back to the burrow where it will take it down in the hole. The wasp will lay an egg and the cicada becomes food for the larva.

YUCK!!!