Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   I am in a baddddd slump! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/i-am-baddddd-slump-t148439.html)

Gramof6 08-27-2011 10:19 PM

How do you get out of this kind of slump where you want to sew, but always find making excuses not to? I have looked at books and patterns until I am nuts. :roll: Went to the Quilt Shop this weekend and bought a bunch of new fabric and pattern books thinking that would help. Nope....got home and here I have sat. Well I have done housework & stuff but no sewing. I have machines out the wazoo, embroidery machine, LA machine, stash that I will never get sewn up in my lifetime and a very generous hubby. So I am at a loss as to how to get out of this. I have a few Christmas gifts that I am excited about making that I ordered, so hopefully they will be just what I need. Any of you ever go through this? If so, how did you pull out of it?

craftybear 08-27-2011 10:28 PM

push push push you to get back in your sewing room

Gramof6 08-27-2011 10:29 PM

:D I need more than pushed....I need a swift kick in the behind! ;)

gzuslivz 08-27-2011 10:39 PM

I read somewhere that if you are in a slump there are a couple of things you can do. First, go to a museum and look at the art. The other thing suggested was to try another art form. Take a cake decorating class, pottery, knitting etc. Sometimes trying another art form can jumpstart your creativity. I sometimes get in a slump, too. One time, I watched "How To Make An American Quilt" and watching those women quilt got me going again.

Lacelady 08-27-2011 10:46 PM

Make a small charity quilt - Project Linus comes to mind, so even if it's only 20 in x 30 in they will be happy to accept it.

Perhaps making it for a good cause will jump start you - donating always gives me a lift.

C.Cal Quilt Girl 08-27-2011 11:29 PM

** Snap out of it Sister Quilter **

Someone check to see if Gramof6 has a case of the Summer sewing blues....{{{ Huggs }}}

I don't know a person who dosen't at times slow or pause, I force myself to finish or work on a soso project, by that time am ready to go on something I really want to do. (If all else fails I clean the room till it kicks in again) and if your is clean I know of one that could use some work;)

tammy cosper 08-27-2011 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by gzuslivz
I read somewhere that if you are in a slump there are a couple of things you can do. First, go to a museum and look at the art. The other thing suggested was to try another art form. Take a cake decorating class, pottery, knitting etc. Sometimes trying another art form can jumpstart your creativity. I sometimes get in a slump, too. One time, I watched "How To Make An American Quilt" and watching those women quilt got me going again.

Lol...this works for me too.

Shelbie 08-28-2011 03:10 AM

Sometimes just some mindless sewing will do the trick. Cut up some of your scraps into simple squares or strips and make a quilt to be donated to charity. I always have a quilt like this on the go and often stitch on this if I'm tired, between projects or lacking ambition. The Downey "pattern", a 8 1/2" focus fabric square alternated by a co-ordinating 4 patch is easy, quick and useful!

0tis 08-28-2011 03:59 AM

I give myself some time - usually will spend it reading (my second love) - then I will force myself to spend some time in my sewing room - usually that works for me - but don't be hard on yourself - because it will come back - you just need some down time.

RenaB 08-28-2011 04:00 AM

When I get in a funk, I take a class and it gets me going again.