Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   The "I could make that" comment.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/i-could-make-comment-t216166.html)

sandyl 03-12-2013 02:52 AM

The "I could make that" comment....

I used to go to craft shows and when looking at handmade (sewn) items that is the comment I would make, thinking that I would be able to make something comparable and thereby saving my money by not purchasing.. Now, however I've decided that if I see something I like and even tho I know I could make it the reality is; I probably wouldn't attempt it. That being said I am now anxiously awaiting covers for my FW that I purchased on ebay. And they look spectacular, I must say. Even tho I know I could duplicate the covers myself. I find I want to support my fellow crafters, quilters, jewelry makers, etc. I have evolved!!!
Sandy

Sandygirl 03-12-2013 02:57 AM

I agree! I could make those fabric bowls.....but i wont! I bought one!
Sandy

carrieg 03-12-2013 03:06 AM

I totally agree! By the time I attempt something new, it becomes a one of a kind item. I feel if I buy something at a craft show, I know I am supporting my fellow crafters.

Gladys 03-12-2013 03:09 AM

All excellent points, my problem is when I think "I could make that" I often can't. So if I want it bad enough I need to just get it cause otherwise it will never happen.

WTxRed 03-12-2013 03:10 AM

I'm right there with you! I'd never have enough time after work to make all the things I could...I don't mind supporting that hobby with someone else :)

KwiltyKahy 03-12-2013 03:16 AM

Years ago there was a cartoon in Reader's Digest. The scene was a craft fair with a sign in one booth that said "Yes, you could make this. But will you?". That's too true.

eparys 03-12-2013 03:18 AM

I have fallen into the "I can make that" syndrome as well! Especially when my children were little, I had many more hours than I had money. I would (and did - lol) try anything back then. As I have gotten older, my time is precious to me and I spend it only on things that I really enjoy doing now. carrieg is correct - when you buy at a craft show - you are supporting a crafter . I would rather support their efforts now than go home and "figure it out".

deedum 03-12-2013 03:39 AM

I got a whole closet of patterns, and material and ideas of things I was gonna make. Eventually, I might get to a few things there, but I had firgued out a long time ago, I could make it but probably won't. Now my friends who say" Oh, you could make that". They think I am a genius on making things, I know I am not, they must think I have plenty of time and money which I don't. So yes, when I go to some craft/festivals, I have no problem buying an item I like.

mighty 03-12-2013 05:46 AM

I agree, I,m gonna does not usually find it to the top of the list of to do,s.

Tartan 03-12-2013 06:24 AM

I often buy things I could make, if it is something I don't WANT to make.